This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why post about your health on Facebook?
05-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Why post about your health on Facebook?
I have a handful of friends who constantly put stuff about their health on FB - "10 chemo sessions left!!!"...."Fell down the stairs, and now I'm in the ER..."
I don't comment on any of these because i don't think someone's poor health is anyone's business!! I also think they're looking for pity or something because many health issues - especially if someone has cancer, it's not something everyone needs to know about.
I feel cold hearted because i don't offer any sentiments or warm wishes to these people. I keep my health issues to myself unless I talk to someone personally one on one or face to face.

Am I wrong for not wanting to comment on someone's page who has a head cold and "can't take it anymore" and posts it all over the place?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2014, 06:16 AM

I guess everyone is just different. I have friends that do that do and I guess they may feel bad and are looking for a pick me up. It doesn't bother me. I usually say hope you feel better. Your not wrong I guess it's just who you are. Like I always say this world would be a boring place if we were all the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ads

05-19-2014, 06:20 AM

I guess they just want people to care and get some attention in a way.

For one, you don&#x27;t post anything on FB just for yourself. Obviously when you post something, it&#x27;s for everyone to see. Though some might not admit it, they post stuff to get people&#x27;s attention and to share some info that shouldn&#x27;t be known necessarily. I guess it varies with a lot of people but maybe they just want to inform their friends about whatever is going on with their lives.
05-19-2014, 06:31 AM

i don't see anything wrong with sharing. when you are happy ("when you're happy and you know it clap your hand...la la la":)) your happiness is multiplied by as many sharings as you share; ::-) while when you are sad your sorrow shrinks few folds (or at least it's supposed to) :-).
furthermore, at times others who experience the same issues may suggest ways to alleviate the pain or whatever.
it's the unknown that's most frightening, knowledge and certainty do shed some comforting light on many issues. the burden of pain, especially if it's accompanied with secrecy is too heavy to carry alone.
well, now you can see it from a whining type of person's point of view Smile
i don't know if i m in any position to tell you if you r right or wrong with your reactions/responses or lack of them... you are definitely right by being sincere. if you are working in the ER, you're probably "immuned" to suffering, or see no point in expressing it - which I saw happening with professionals - but even then - it's this "shield" they create regarding work/strangers; when it comes to loved ones or themselves they are touched.
(i might sound judgmental - but i m not).