This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HELP & SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
05-20-2014, 02:20 AM
HELP & SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
I have an interview on Monday for a SEO internship. I don't think it's even something I can do and I expressed my concern to the owner of the company after I made contact with him telling him I didn't have much/if any experience in this area. Amazingly, he still wants to meet with me... I am a general BS Business student with a minor in Marketing, so I dont know what to do?!?!

What do I need to know about SEO?!?!?! Please help anyone who knows what SEO is...

oh and my faculty advisor who set this up said "it's easy and research it before you meet with the guy" ... excuse me, what, he also told the guy I was perfect and I dont even know what this is...

PSS hes the only internship person who responded to me... so its my only shot to intern for a company before I graduate...

any help is great!!! Thanks yahoo world!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2014, 02:27 AM

In short, it generally applies when someone creates a webpage or website for you, they incorporate certain language that matches searches words people would use to find the business.

Example: a kitchen cabinet company would have the word "kitchen" throughout. Then when a prospective buyer googled "kitchen" that website would come up because the word "kitchen" is throughout. It's been Optimized for Search Engines.

Ads

05-20-2014, 02:37 AM

Wow - you remind me of myself when I interviewed for my first SEO job. I started studying on Friday for an interview on Monday.

The truth is that everybody knows there is no degree in SEO. You can not major in it in college or even really take a class on it, it is simply too new and changes too often. What an SEO company looks for is a quick learner who loves to learn. SEO changes overnight (in fact, just yesterday Google changed their algorithm in what is being known as the "farmer update" which is impacting about 12% of all search results). If you don't change with SEO you get left behind, so you need to constantly be studying. That is what they will be looking for in your interview. Not what you know, but how willing you are to learn.

One way you can show you are serious is by studying non-stop until the interview. My recommendation is to read the beginners guide to SEO at SEOmoz

http://guides.seomoz.org/beginners-guide...timization

If I had read through that I would have been much better prepared for my interview!

If you have any question feel to contact me through the contact form at http://pioneersem.com/about

Rita - you are right, SEO is VERY tough, but I stand by my assertion that it is more about what you are willing to learn and not about what you know. I myself majored in Sociology with a minor in Marriage & Family studies. I faced a huge learning curve but was willing to give it all I had and have since excelled in the field. There is nothing else I would rather be doing.

CB - my guess is that he sees something in you that you may not see. If you study SEO and find it completely dull and boring then that is a different story. But if you find it interesting, I wouldn't let your lack of current SEO knowledge get in the way.
05-20-2014, 02:45 AM

I want to inform to Mr. Tiffany that its true SEO requires no special degree but its better if the student of Science background join it. As people already joined this field having no any logic joined it and made this profession so cheap. Programming and SEO requires mind to success. How many people are success in SEO. I know the answer is very few because its all the game of mind and you have to read the mind of the programmer who actually add algo to search engine programming code. So to be very frank, the person is interested in you because he knows I pay less as the guy I am looking for internship. The second thing seo is very tough, its not so easy too. So better search job according to your degree/qualification. Its better for your future too.
05-20-2014, 02:58 AM

Learn more about SEO by visiting this site http://www.theexpertseo.blogspot.com/.
05-20-2014, 03:00 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about it. These days wordpress is usually used to build simple sites. The only thing you will probably need to know for seo work is how to build backlinks.

Backlinks are just links on other sites that point back to your site. The easiest thing about it is that some of these backlinks are just profiles, like facebook pages.

If your internship involves onpage optimization there will be more to learn, but the general thing to know is that your web page will rank well if you use your main search term is used at least a 3 times and is bolded, underlined, and italicized. There is a bit more to it then that but I wrote a more extensive post on my blog about diy seo.
05-20-2014, 03:03 AM

Just try to learn the concept of SEO; which is to optimize keywords pointing to a website and the primary target is to get keywords on top of google search results.

Keep your research and it's gonna be easier you when you have the idea.

Regards,
Ren
05-20-2014, 03:17 AM

http://www.Axandra.com/go.to/mrjholla buy this and let the software do the work for you keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone. This not only teaches you as you go but it does all the work for you optimizing websites/articles it even comes witha get on the 1st page of Google or money back promise. You got nothing to lose everything to gain buy and use for life for muliple sites..
05-20-2014, 03:22 AM

Everybody starts from first step... Don't worry, the web is full of SEO tutorials where you can learn SEO. I myself was newbie and even didn't know what means SEO. Now I have enough skills to earn money online doing SEO.
I suggest you visit those both 2 sites where they provide free tutorials: http://www.freesitetraffic.org/ , Go ahead accept the job and soon you will be an SEO master. Success
05-20-2014, 03:37 AM

Read expert views on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and internet marketing such as Interview with: Phil Laboon, SEO Expert & Founder of Eyeflow Internet Marketing and many more.