This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question about blogging.?
05-20-2014, 03:52 AM
A question about blogging.?
I wanna start a blog. Basically, I'm an aspiring photographer and want a platform to share my photos. I already have a Facebook page, but the reach is pretty bleak. So, I have a couple of doubts.

Firstly, which blogging website do you suggest for photographs?

Also, I like writing (poetry, reviews, thoughts etc.) And I wanna know if I should have a separate blog for that, or can I just merge my photography and writing work together. Obviously, I'll post more photos than write ups, so yeah.

So far, I was thinking of making a blog on Tumblr. What do you guys think?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2014, 04:03 AM

I don't know that a blog will do better than your facebook page, where you can use their social connections to get likes and visitors. You would have to start an SEO campaign from scratch, search engines are geared to index and key into words more than images, so your writings ma be a big help.

To look more professional consider using a paid host to run a Wordpress based blog with a custom gallery theme. Many hosting packages costing $8/mo or less include a custom domain name and have easy wordpress installers. (Some 17% of the top 1 million sites use Wordpress)

If your the sensitive type it also mat be good to have an account on the female favored Pinterest site that has a gallery format, perhaps giving a little poetic caption for each photo.

Ads

05-20-2014, 04:17 AM

Good evening!

First, your photography blog: You may want to consider spending the money to self-host a WordPress site, with your own domain name. It's more professional and gives you full control over your website. Plus, there are thousands of wonderful WordPress templates out there, in all sorts of categories, including photography. I, personally, pay only $4.00 per month for my hosting package, and it took me less than five minutes to install WordPress.

As to whether to combine your writing and photography blogs, that is completely up to you, though if they're not related to each other (you're not writing about photography) you may want to consider keeping the sites separate.

Good luck!
05-20-2014, 04:31 AM

If you do have a ton of photos, keep in mind, that search engines look for content and not images (as one replied). But, if you do have images, don't forget to enter the "alt tags" to each image. These alt tags or description of the image helps with the SEO. I agree with the other two replies, I would get a Wordpress photography site - there are many themes to choose from, and professional looking!
Also, as you mentioned, "want to share my photos," it doesn't have to be a blog. It could be a photography website. I have seen several that are very nice. Just Google the words, "photography websites." Lots of nice and attractive designs.
Good luck.
05-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Get a Wordpress blog and look around for a free phototheme.

Make sure you actually blog a photo or two a day by way of posts - you can have galleries too but post.

Then hook your blog up to your facebook page, twitter, pinterest, Blogger, Google+ and Tumblr. Now when you publish a post it will go to all these social sites. Pretty much automatically.

Then start looking at photography specific sites and start commenting and submitting your work for comment.

Soon enough you will have lots of people looking at your photos.
05-20-2014, 04:41 AM

Starting a blog is an excellent goal for you. You do have the passion in photography and writing. Blogging software is available online and there are numerous articles and how to's on how to blog.

A photo blog shouldn't be that difficult to develop at all. Again, develop your research in creating blogs with all that is available for free online.

Keep up the passion!