This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I change the location of my router/modem?
05-21-2014, 05:03 PM
How can I change the location of my router/modem?
My Internet connection in my room is horrible and I want to move my router/modem (they are both one) to my room to run an Ethernet cable to my computer. What do I need to plug in, where, and how? Can I plug it into a telephone jack in the wall?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Idk

Ads

05-21-2014, 05:24 PM

You can plug the RJ11 cable (different to the ethernet cable) from the router into any telephone Jack in the house or you can buy a long rj45 cable (30m £3.50) if the telephone jack is nowhere near your room.

Expensive option: buy powerline adapters and you can plug an ethernet cable into and normal wall plug with an adapter. They can be wireless as well.
05-21-2014, 05:40 PM

It depends how they wired it up. If they put DSL on the same pair as your wall jack and you still have landline phones (and have filters on the phones) then it might work. That means the DSL is on the same pair as the phones and your wall jack is probably on that pair. If they put it on a different pair, no. There are other creative wiring options. So move the router and see if it works. If it doess't sync up, then you need to investigate which pairs are hooked up at the wall jack.