This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I set up my house internet to turn off wifi to selected cell phones in the house.?
05-22-2014, 03:52 AM
How do I set up my house internet to turn off wifi to selected cell phones in the house.?
If I turn off data to a cell phone ~ childs… since wifi is still on in the house there are apps that can be used on that cell phone so texting and internet, etc can still be accessed. I heard my own internet service to the house can set up the ability to turn off wifi on cell phones…HOW? I phoned Broadstripe/xfinity and they said they cannot do that. Should I get another internet provider?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 04:08 AM

No. You have to log into your router by going to web address http://192.168.1.1. At the login, use admin and password. If that doesn't work, you need to call your ISP and find out what the default admin login is for your router. Or you can look up the user manual for it on the internet.

Any way; once you are logged in, go to the wireless section of the router setup. Look for the MAC filtering option. It may be in an advanced setup page. You will find a place to enter the MAC (not IP) addresses of the phones to block.

You can determine the MAC addresses of the phones by looking at the Connections page of the router and looikn for the entries for the phones.

Ads

05-22-2014, 04:20 AM

As Gordon said. It all depends a bit on which router you have - you'll need to get the manual for the router, usually from the manufacturer's website.

Then you'll usually need a PC connected to that router via ethernet cable - you want to access the administration functions of that router, and these are (should be, anyway) usually only accessible through the local ethernet port(s), not through WiFi.

And finally you'll need the user ID and password for the router - often, the default ID/password can be found in the user manual.

Then you need to log into the router - which IP or name you need to use is also found in the manual. Any address in the 192.168.x.x range is possible - I've seen x.x = 0.1 and 1.1, others apparently prefer the high end numbers like 255.1. http://www.routerlogin.net/ also works for my router.

Now, you'll need to go through the router configuration until you find the settings for MAC filtering. It's easiest if you have all devices that you want to permit access for connected at that time - just set the MAC filter so that only these devices are permitted access. Any other devices that are not currently logged in (like your child's phones) will be denied access.

However, if the contract for your child's phone does permit cellular internet access (most of them do - and some of them charge high fees), that will block them for about 5 minutes.

Less if they're bright enough.