This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the "psyche"?
05-22-2014, 06:23 AM
What is the "psyche"?
Is it possible to explain or define what the psyche is?
How it operates?
What it does?
Why we have it?
How it operates?

We talk about it, we acknowledge it's existence.....
But do we have any idea what it is?

Does the psyche happen in dreams? And what might it symbolize in that world?

Any clues as to what the psyche really is are welcomed.

Thank you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 06:26 AM

I wish I know. Maybe neuroscience will shed some light some day. I only know that my psyche has been messed up pretty badly by my parents, and I am on my way to self-healing slowly.

Ads

05-22-2014, 06:42 AM

We have no grasp of the depth or we could explain enlightenment. If you want to explore it, try Carl Jung's Active Imagination. It never ceases to surprise you as it keeps giving you information you didn't think you had. Just be careful...it is truly the rabbit hole.
05-22-2014, 06:55 AM

Psyche comes from the Greek word which means mind and to some resources it is soul. Well, if you studied psychology... you cannot define what psyche is. Because there are a lot of theories about it. And there is no single definition of it.
05-22-2014, 07:11 AM

well the brain is not separate from the world so I think the psyche is infinite Smile
05-22-2014, 07:17 AM

Bluebootz,

Psyche is the totality of the human mind conscious and unconscious; "self" in the sense of "conscious personality" or "psyche". Word "mind" is preferred by cognitive scientists to "psyche".

It operates based on conscious awareness and its ability to program thoughts related to servile and reproduction.

Apuleius from the 2nd century AD wrote the Latin novel Metamorphoses the overcoming of obstacles to love between Psyche intrepid as the Soul or Breath of life and Cupid or desire the cause of suffering.

We have it because one cannot be without the other in this world of duality in order to come to the realization of being whole or One within existence.
05-22-2014, 07:24 AM

Fancy Greek word for the blank slate of our brain. It's a tabula rasa until filled with experience, which is lots of lies.
05-22-2014, 07:38 AM

What I seem to notice is that I am doing , being the universe right now still I feel the need to explain my self. I don't know why but I want to say consciousness expands like a light cone. I want to say that but I have no idea why. It's something to study I guess maybe.

I wasn't sure how to put the idea of a synchronized eternal super positioned state of the entire universe into a logical order. Then I found entropy of closed systems. A closed system of infinite entropy , infinite energy information, possibilities and potentials could simultaneously exist within infinite empirically synchronized eternal states within super positioned states partially existing in their infinite states all at once, they could even exist in a manner that transcended time and space as they could exist as a form of pure energy or consciousness or awareness.The unconsciousness is actually equal to the consciousness.

A force , a singular self transcendental PROCESS, not a physical force by any means, not so much a intellectual process or one that occurs over time, but it's an eternal process , one where information isn't physical, it's an eternal force in which it is in of itself no particular arrangement or order infinitely but embodies at the same time infinite arrangement and order as entropy and reduced entropy existing simultaneously eternally and infinitely.

The Process is haha without beginning or ending, it's transcendent of all consciousness, processes here. The process of our spiritual evolution, biological evolution is a holistic process it happens all at once within itself and it exists as this eternal force that is without beginning or ending. God in itself is a transcendental force as in it's entirety is an equal and opposite force to nothing ness also known as pure entropy , energy, potential, possibilities which nothing is equal to possibilities and potential as they manifest.

Our ascended God self made us that is why we are here to begin with because there is no real time or space or divides within creation, only symmetry. The universe will be simple in it's design because it's entirely symmetrical and this moment now is actually God. You and me everything in this moment is God. But it's transcendental, this moment you and me is transcended and transcendental we aren't really here. The information that makes us up isn't of things or facts. We are sort of like realities and illusions both and and neither at the same time.

If the universe arose out of nothing then it's equal to nothing and everything is is the equal opposite of nothing. For that to occur there should be a symmetry or mirror of force that is eternal, equal such as equal anti matter and matter. There should be an symmetry of forces, and for nothingness to be equal to something, everything that is something must be equal as something and equal to nothingness.

If all that information is , is pure entropy and possibilities, potentials, energy and information isn't truly physical , information is a form of consciousness that is rather an awareness or potential energy and possibilities. If all possibilities simultaneously exist all at once and are equal then all information is essentially equal. If the universe is essentially consciousness, information and possibilities, potential energy then it is in a state of complete entropy as well as reduced entropy. As everything is happening all at once equal and opposite to nothingness. The universe is two separate but equal and opposite forces that holistically embody a singular force.

When there is reduced entropy all states of reduced entropy are connected and everything in the universe is in fact pure information, non physical information but a holistic entity of information and energy that in which has an equal and opposite state of complete entropy , nothingness and complete reduced entropy and all things in our universe exist equally.

Our universe replicates itself within the smallest piece containing it's whole, for example cells divide and lower entropy disorder , the more order the less entropy. But the entire whole of potential order and entropy exists simultaneously out of nothingness that is something.

The universe is infinitely complex to infinite simply as the smallest part in the universe must be equal to the whole, as everything is equal and opposite to nothing ness, or maximum entropy. Maximum entropy there for is equal to Maximum reduced entropy.

Infinite possibilities are equal to any possibility and the forms are not real physical information rather eternal embodiments of the universe, without beginning or ending, all energy and information is equal. Because reality and information is not truly physical , all realities are transcended equally as a physical illusion as both equal embodies of something and nothing ness at the same time. Nothingness is the potential and possibility for something to exist.

The world is not really there, objects and things aren't really there, no facts are truly there it's a world of possibilities and potentials not things or facts. It's a statistical , probabilistic stimulation as information , a synchronized eternal illusion in which all consciousness and experience and probabilities are infinitely expanding and contracting at the same time within their infinite sea of possibilities as infinite and eternal entropy and anti- entropy. Everything is empirical has an empirical order even what appears to be random, nothing happens on accident, everything is as intended.

Everything occurs simultaneously as nothing ness occurs as pure entropy , pure entropy is pure possibilities and potential energy . Entropy and reduced entropy are equal opposites within infinite forms and combinations, infinite diversity within infinite combinations. Nothing is created nor destroyed yet everything is arranged and empirical by god and occurs all at once eternally.

Like the single cell that divides and gets more complicated to lower entropy consciousness is the same way, infinitely simple to infinite complex, in which infinitely simple and complex are equals of something out of nothing equals within infinite entropy and reduced entropy. All is eternal. The eternal is infinitely eternal, the infinite is eternally infinite. Consciousness split off into infinite possibilities to reduce entropy yet to do so it had to be equal to the entropy it has reduced , equal and opposite. Consciousness transcends time and space and barriers of separation. As the piece evolves the whole evolves as it's made of up the smaller pieces that are equal to the whole.

What we experience is the super positioning of quantum states of reality in which all quantum statutes are connected and equal and are equal creations, destructions of an eternal cycle of expansion and contraction and entropy and reduced entropy. Everything is a transcendental eternal cycle , God experiences us as we experience ourselves without any prejudice and through God all things, even random are empirical. We exist because the most evolve possible state in the universe conning all possible evolution already exists.
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM

I do not say I know but these quotes lead me to believe it is impure intelligence... "Oh, ye simple, understand Wisdom; and ye fools, be of an understanding heart.” It is spirit and matter, the nous and the psyche; of the latter of which St. James says that it is “earthly, sensual, and devilish.”
"But why should allegory be always understood as meaning all that its dead-letter expresses? It is the symbolical representation of the great struggle between divine wisdom, nous, and its earthly reflection, Psuche, or between Spirit and Soul, in Heaven and on Earth. In Heaven —because the divine Monad had voluntarily exiled itself therefrom, to descend, for incarnating purposes, to a lower plane and thus transform the animal of clay into an immortal god. For, as Eliphas Levi tells us, “the angels aspire to become men; for the perfect man, the man-god, is above even angels.” On Earth — because no sooner had Spirit descended than it was strangled in the coils of matter."
"“Then steps on the stage of creation the spirit† (of the Earth so-called, or the Soul, Psyche, which St. James calls ‘devilish’) the lower portion the Anima Mundi or Astral Light." († On the authority of Irenaeus, of Justin Martyr and the “Codex” itself, Dunlap shows that the Nazarenes regarded “Spirit” as a female and Evil Power in its connection with our Earth...Dunlap: “Sod,” the Son of the Man, p. 52).
"In Volume II. of Isis (p. 183 et seq.) the philosophical systems of the Gnostics and the primitive Jewish Christians, the Nazarenes and the Ebionites, are fully considered. They show the views held in those days — outside the circle of Mosaic Jews — about Jehovah. He was identified by all the Gnostics with the evil, rather than with the good principle. For them, he was Ilda-Baoth, “the son of Darkness,” whose mother, Sophia Achamoth, was the daughter of Sophia, the Divine Wisdom (the female Holy Ghost of the early Christians) — Akasa;† while Sophia Achamoth personified the lower Astral Light or Ether. Ilda-Baoth,‡ or Jehovah, is simply one of the Elohim, the seven creative Spirits, and one of the lower Sephiroth." († The astral light stands in the same relation to Akasa and Anima Mundi, as Satan stands to the Deity. They are one and the same thing seen from two aspects: the spiritual and the psychic — the super-ethereal or connecting link between matter and pure spirit, and the physical. See for the difference between nous, the higher divine wisdom, and psyche, the lower and terrestrial (St. James iii. v. 15-17). Vide “Demon est Deus inversus,” Part II. of this volume.)
05-22-2014, 07:55 AM

you need to ask a professor for science definition for it. but i doubt science of all fields would agree on it.

culture and religion give different definitions and ideas to it. idk any of them. generally most of them believe in soul as something that moves the physical body. in this case, i don't understand what they mean by "I" or oneself.

if it's the soul that controls the body, then who am I? who are you? are you your soul? in this situation, do you exist? is it the soul that exists? how do you explain you as the body and the soul?

i don't know what they want to say in their ideas. that can be diverse. It's I think not well defined or agreed upon. Different people have different ideas or they agree with some people and disagree with others. I doubt religions define it well either. [see her https://www.google.com.au/search?num=30&..._XphkiCSg]

Soul, breath (the breath from god)... here they define a baby is born and soul (breath) is put into it by god. Fetus is thus not alive or have no soul. [we know that idea is not right].

my limited knowledge in Buddhism about psyche is psyche is defined differently. Vinnana is the word in Pali. It's the word for the ability of knowing. That's all.
[viññāṇa: 'consciousness', http://www.viet.net/anson/ebud/bud-dict/dic3_v.htm - read the definition there.]

In terms of Namma (mind) and Rupa (physical body), namma is explained in four categories (four aggregates) and physical body is what we can see.

The four are: feeling, perception, thought and consciousness. [In this case, i think you can call namma as psyche].

Consciousness is that knows or recognises or the state of being aware.
Vinnana (consciousness) works with the other three - as sense consciousness and thought consciousness. Sense consciousness doesn't require perception. Thought consciousness requires perception. Sense consciousness can be all by itself and doesn't need thought to follow it. When you think or perceive or define or interpret, thought consciousness appears. In Buddhism, this thought consciousness is the main danger because view arises; there are right view and wrong views.

If only sense consciousness arises and not followed by thought, we can be freed from all successive troubles - and this is the goal in Buddhism. This is the state of nibbana or the state of the cessation of perception and feeling. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cessa...2&ie=UTF-8

But ordinary people are not capable of this. Perception always follows our sense consciousness, as thought consciousness.

Perception can be understood as memory or stored information. It matches its stored information with whatever arises as sense consciousness. Hence, we call it we perceive.

When feeling arises, consciousness arises.
When feeling ceases, consciousness ceases.
Feeling arises as mental thus. But it needs physical body as five senses: sense consciousness of seeing, sense consciousness of hearing, ... touch, ... taste, and ... smell.

Thus, the meditation is to train in sense consciousness and to control it not to go into thought (thought consciousness or perception).http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/mahasati09.htm
https://www.google.com.au/search?num=30&...OwZSteAN04

Perception is just unnatural. It prevents one from understanding the nature as it is. With perception, we develop view and view is personal, not natural.

But without perceiving the nature, we cannot know anything. Thus, we should only perceive two things as natural reality: mind and matter (body).

edit:
if you're concerned about the danger of perception or view, you can learn about it from some books. we all should actually. it's about how perception/view influences afterlife (rebirth) and the destination of beings. it's also about how attachment works for perceiving (perception or memory - explained above).

when one sees a physical form and knows this physical form as a cat, or a dog, or a woman or a man or car or something as view, it's attachment that links sense consciousness to thought consciousness which requires perception. the way one should know is form as form and mind as mind, nothing beyond that.

That's Buddhist view of mind and matter.