This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is social media important or what?
05-23-2014, 04:51 AM
Why is social media important or what?
Those who answer might get BA 10 points!

I used to check Facebook, twitter, Instagram once or twice a week in high school. Now I'm checking in daily in college...make me feel more overwhelmed. Is it important to stay online 24/7? I always have this on my mind wanting to not check in daily just once a week or so... Does it matter if I left for a week or month then come back to check in?

Please help, much needed thank you
Those who answer might get BA 10 points!

I used to check Facebook, twitter, Instagram once or twice a week in high school. Now I'm checking in daily in college...make me feel more overwhelmed. Is it important to stay online 24/7? I always have this on my mind wanting to not check in daily just once a week or so... Does it matter if I left for a week or month then come back to check in?

Please help, much needed thank you

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2014, 04:56 AM

In what way? Are you asking in regards to the media and everything? Lemme see... it has it's pros and cons... and both are for the same reason. You can create awareness of things going on in the world more efficiently, but at the same time propaganda can spread just as quick.

Now it seems like with your details you're just asking from a "social life" standpoint and my answer is... "no it's not". A social life is wayyyyyy different then a "social media life". Some people spend hours a day on there Twitter or Instagram and don't really do much else in there day for recreation... if you just wanna check up on your friends and all, then checking once a day for a short while is fine... personally myself tho, I don't really use social media for myself... I mean I have a Facebook, but only to chat with a few people (I only have like 10 friends or something on it and I only know 3 or 4 in real life), and I have Twitter but only three people I know in real life actually know my account.

So no, I don't think social media is "important" at all.

Ads

05-23-2014, 04:59 AM

For you it isn't, if it's overwhelming it means you lost the ability to filter what you see, and just try to 'see it all' which is a very bad dynamic, and could cause Anxiety, Depression, and even Burn-Out.

For the World Social-Media is how we create transparency, where oppressive governments try to 'kill the press', Turkey just had a ban on Twitter, because on Twitter, they were sharing news of corruption, and bribes, where the Turkish President was able to keep that out of the papers, and off the TV, Social-Media continued real-news, instead of government propaganda.