This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wifi router that can handle 40mbps?
05-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Wifi router that can handle 40mbps?
I recently upgraded my internet speed from 15mbps to 40mbps, turns out my router (N300 netgear DGN2200v2) can only handle up to 15mbps so i have to get a new one. So, what type of router do i need to get that supports 40mbps(N450, N600, N750, N900)?
Thanks in advance.
I did check with my isp, and they're the ones who told me that my router can only support up to 15.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2014, 08:16 AM

How can it not handle 40mbps? You connection to the router wired and wireless are far faster than that. Your internet speed boost might not have taken effect yet. The DGN2200v2 would have no issues on the network side of things. The network it creates within itself is much higher than your broadband speeds. You should check with your ISP.

EDIT:

Well whoever you talked to at the ISP is a complete moron. It's incredibly idiotic that they blamed your router. Did they have you try connecting direct to the modem and speed test? Try that yourself and do a test and call them back to prove them wrong.

Ads

05-24-2014, 08:21 AM

The Wifi will work up to 300 Mbps and the Ethernet link to a Cable/Fibre modem works at 100 Mbps. So I don't know what you mean by a 40mbps "Internet speed" with that router as ADSL2+ only supports data rates as high as 24 Mbps downstream. If you have a fibre/cable service (which you would need to get 40Mbps) then you need the appropriate router/modem. I would hope that your ISP would supply that or advise you which one to get.
05-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Your wifi speed will depends on your laptop/device adapter as well. If it is only G mode, not "N", you will not get much over 20mbps over wifi, regardless of the service speed. G mode is technology limited.
Thus, if most of your PC adapters are G mode, changing the router will not help with speeds for any of those devices.
Wired, all routers will handle that 40mbps. Thus, you have to focus on why your wifi is slower speeds. That is all router vs adapter issues.
05-24-2014, 08:29 AM

have a try with asus rt-ac68u.
has an 800MHz proc and handles 25 concurrent streams or so.
not sure of real-world throughput. depends on how much bog-down is inside the router due to firmware and proc speed (how well code is written). older 2004-era routers have a 200MHz proc.

my mother's 2004-era router limited the connection to 15Mbps/3Mbps and we had 22/5 at the time.

I find that today's phones could maybe have faster proc speeds than today's routers (but routers also need to be solid, so I would rather have solid than top-edge fast).

the asus router I mentioned is 802.11ac and net wifi bandwidth is 866Mbps with 802.11ac adapters.
http://jesusnjim.com/cool-products/compu...l#complete

I write software and repair computers for my business.