This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I think my new neighbors are stealing my WiFi?
05-25-2014, 06:55 AM
I think my new neighbors are stealing my WiFi?
These new neighbors live right across the street from me and just recently found something out.

Few weeks ago I notice this teenager (which is my new neighbor) stand in the middle of the street or sitting on the side walk next to my house with his phone out. I would always wonder why the hell he always do that. Then it has finally hit me that he may be using my WiFi.

For that, I unplugged the power to the internet box and I looked out my window to see what he does when my internet is "off". About a minute later he goes back into his house.

I tried this for a few days when I would see him stand outside near my home and I am now convinced that my neighbor is stealing my WiFi. I say this because he would always go back into his house when I unplugged the internet.

What should I do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2014, 07:04 AM

password protect your wifi.

Ads

05-25-2014, 07:12 AM

put a password lock on your wifi, something hard to guess, should fix that problem straight away
05-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Ensure you're using WPA2, implement MAC filtering, and change your password monthly at least. If you want to get technical you could also tone down the broadcast power so your neighbor can't actually pick up a signal.
05-25-2014, 07:22 AM

If you have a password ... change it.
05-25-2014, 07:33 AM

Just put a password on your router, then all devices you want to connect to it will need that password.

WPA2-personal encryption is usually good enough for a house, but do not use WEP, it is insecure and can easily be hacked.
05-25-2014, 07:44 AM

Two words: Password protection. If you don't know how, just go to CMD and type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Take the IP address listed as "Default Gateway" an enrter it into your browser. You should arrive at your router's admin page. If it asks for a password and you don't know it, just search for it in Yahoo! or Google and find the defaults. Once you log in you can set a password key for your network and possibly see which devices are connecting (this would tell if your neighbor really is using your wifi).
05-25-2014, 07:59 AM

you can provide protection to your WIFI by giving password.