This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is a VPN?
05-26-2014, 03:32 PM
What is a VPN?
It sounds pretty cool, hearing you can browse or surf the net in private without anyone seeing what you do. Why I ask is because I have a cousin who I think snoops in on what I do on my laptop, whenever I get on to use his router he gets on his computer as well, when I get off so does he, when I get on he does too. Thing is I don't like, I would confront him about it but I want to try this vpn out first.

So my question.
1.What is a VPN, specifically. (Describe in your own words first please before/if you send me a link)
2.Is the VPN only for someone who has a router? Like say I decide to get internet at my place from whatever company I choose, would a VPN only work for the router I buy? Or can it still work if I get it (VPN) for my laptop?

Please answer as best as you can and feel free to throw in any additional details I should know about, thank you!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2014, 03:46 PM

In basic terms, VPN is a piece of software that makes your computer part of some one else's network. You are then on their network, using thier services, including browsing. However, the VPN "owner", can still see what you do, if they wish.

VPN is basically a encrypted, secure method to join some one else's network, nothing more than that... Your ISP can see you have joined another network, but generally cannot see what you do over their software link.

VPN has nothing to do whether you have a router or not. Some routers (usually older models) have problems with VPN, hence some are labelled as "VPN" compatible, but that means nothing...

Ads

05-26-2014, 03:55 PM

The actual term is: a VPN tunnel or Virtual Private Network tunnel.

Imagine when you visit a favorite website that your "connection" looks like a small, straw-like tube that goes from your computer to the website's web server. Now imagine that same "tube" passes through several routers before reaching the web server on the other end. Technically, each router that your tube passes through can "see" what you're doing.

Now, let's imagine that same tube going from your computer, through various routers, and ending at the web server again. A VPN tunnel is like encasing that "tube" in kevlar from end-to-end, so that none of the routers in the middle can "see" what's in the tunnel. That's the "Private Network" part of VPN.

And, unless your cousin is an intermediate to advanced network dude, there's little chance that he knows how to snoop in on your connections. The most he could do is see which web sites you're visiting.
05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Virtual Private Network
Go to hotspot shield vpn. You can get a free vpn there and it basically lets you browse the interment from a different IP address then your actual IP address your connected to.
05-26-2014, 04:18 PM

My partner and i suggest employing vpnpower.net to unblock web-sites. I am using their services for more than 2 years without having troubles.
05-26-2014, 04:31 PM

When i suggest employing http://www.vpnpower.net to unblock sites. I am using their services for more than 3 years without any troubles.
05-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Have you need vpn no tension you can use http://www.vpnpower.net.I think it is the best vpn.Because i used it.I high recommend using it.I have been using them for many years with no problems