This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Again asking: What explains this Wikipedia problem?
05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Again asking: What explains this Wikipedia problem?
For about two weeks now, every page I go to on Wikipedia only shows the text that first appears on the screen, and when I try to scroll down to see the entire article, I get that visual "stuttering" in which a single horizontal band of text or imagery is repeated hundreds of times. The "stuttering" then freezes and never resolves itself into anything readable. So in effect, I am not able to use Wikipedia. This is not happening with any other website. My internet connection, browser, and computer performance are otherwise normal in every way. (I posted this question in the very poorly attended "Wikipedia" category, and nobody answered it.)
Keifer, et al: Thanks for the suggestions. I welcome any further thoughts you have. But here's the thing:

I've been using the same browser for years, and this problem has only occurred in the past TWO WEEKS. Never before. So it can't be the browser. (And anyway, I hate to think of reinstalling the browser, because I tried that for a completely unrelated reason a year or so ago, and it was a nightmare getting it done.) Also, I am aware that some pages sometimes load slowly. I've been using the computer for years. But that's definitely not what's happening here.

I did go to the Control Panel and found three programs that were somehow added during the past several weeks. (Commercial stuff that slipped by me somehow.) And I Uninstalled them. But the Wikipedia problem persists.

I also have tried to follow the instructions given by my browser (Internet Explorer 8) for deleting the cached information, but the instructions are illogically written, and it is not at a
RE-EDIT TO INCLUDE PORTION OF FIRST EDIT DELETED BY YAHOO:

...illogically written, and it is not at all clear which boxes are to be checked to remove the cache but save the Favorites--which I do NOT want to remove, as I rely on them heavily. If you happen to be familiar with Internet Explorer 8 procedures, perhaps you can advise.

One more thing: I have a hunch this problem may have to do with Google's elimination of "iGoogle," which I used for years as my home page. That event happened on November 1--right around the time the Wikipedia problem appeared. Too much of a coincidence, I suspect.
RE-RE-EDIT: "Kiefer." Sorry for the misspelling.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2014, 10:34 AM

This might be a browser problem, just try to change to different browser and check.But better if you clean cache and temporary files and browser data and then try.

Ads

05-27-2014, 10:44 AM

I'm sorry you've not had a good enough response to this question, a few things we can try.

Like the other answerer, try another browser, sometimes certain websites just don't work that well on a specific browser.

Clear your history and cache etc, hold CTRL SHIFT DEL and then delete everything but saved passwords.

Depending on your browser you may have some plug ins installed that could be affecting Wiki page, go to settings and locate the plugin or add-in section, and remove any non essential ones.

If this fails, try completely reinstalling the browser.

As a side note, sometimes you will find that pages can crash or hang mid load, and scrolling when the page is not fully loaded will sometimes cause it to have this error, you should ensure the page is fully loaded before scrolling, some browsers will show you the progress of loading at the top near the search bar, or down in the bottom left corner, it would say "Done" as it needs to download the images etc from the page.

EDIT -

Thank you for your email notifying me you had edited your question, I see you are using internet explorer, in my honest opinion, and experienced one, as I'm currently working as an IT support technician across a large company with over 200 Users, we do not ever use Internet Explorer purely because it's insanely slow, even the latest updates.

Now, as you have no intention of removing IE, which in itself is very difficult, I would heavily recommend moving to an entirely new browser, I fully understand you've got favourites, that's fine, luckily when switching to another browser generally, Google Chrome or Firefox, (Chrome being my preferred choice) you have the option to "Import" saved passwords and favourite information from Internet explorer automatically, so the instant you start using Chrome, you've got those favourites there.

Before we start moving onto a new browser, just simply download Chrome, install and then try viewing the Wiki page we're relating too, don't bother importing anything or making changes, as if it doesn't work we'll scrap Chrome and figure out another way around the problem, but I'd highly suggest that the browser is the problem, especially as IE 8 is now out of date, which again could be a cause to the problem with HTML6 being introduced to the latest browser updates.

As a side note here, I'm understanding that you would have fears of remote assistance, you could of course end the sessions at any moment, and I'll only have access to your machine whilst you are there, specific software suites only allow connection once, and then the codes and log in ID changes your side for security. And of course, nothing would be installed without prior notification to you, and agreement that you are happy for me to do so, I should have no need to go through any personal files or folders, and certainly no search history. This shouldn't be an issue if we sort the problem by me guiding you anyhow.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Strangely, as I've tried to edit this response, my Yahoo answers has changed from the original Green website that i liked to the new purple one Sad Sad times.