This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I explain to my parents that I cut?
05-28-2014, 02:28 AM
How do I explain to my parents that I cut?
My name is Raven and I cut. I'm so scared to tell my parents that I cut. If I tell them I think they will disown me and all. I don't want that.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2014, 02:43 AM

I've been through self harm too. I never really had to tell my parents it seemed someone else got to them first but I guarantee they won't disown you! Your parents love you and want to make sure you're healthy and doing OK. Honestly I would sit down with whoever you're closest too and explain how you're feeling first. Then explain that as a result of those feelings you have been hurting yourself. If you ever need anyone to talk to you can DM me on twitter (@ annalookiwi)! I may not have all the answers but sometimes its nice to talk to someone who's been through it as well. I hope everything is OK. And again if you ever need someone I'm here to talk to!

Ads

05-28-2014, 02:55 AM

They will get you the professional help you need because you don't know how to function emotionally like the rest of the world does. Wouldn't it be great if they loved you so much they helped you get better?
05-28-2014, 03:12 AM

um... Try talking to your friends first, it would be alot easier if you talk to them. You need to ease into telling your parents, lets say something bad happens at school or at work and your parents ask about it. Talk to them about it and then tell them that your cutting because of all of that. I'm sure it continued for a long time so you just say its been going on for a long time
05-28-2014, 03:17 AM

It is a sign of strength when you ask for help. Your parents can at least find a counselor for you who will help you set up a safety plan and help you work through issues that might be causing you to want to cut yourself. Even if you are cutting to release emotional pain, you could harm yourself more than you intend to.

Many kids will write a letter to their parents to break the ice. If you do that just be sure you let them know that you are safe and want to talk to them after they have given the letter some thought. If you would rather sit down face to face, tell them you have something really serious to talk about and ask them when a good time to talk would be. This tells them that you mean business and need their full attention. Please keep yourself safe. This is s a great article on alternatives to cutting.

http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/Discove...ills.aspx.

Laura - Crisis Counselor