This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how to get maximum bandwidth/speed on a common or shared internet network?
05-28-2014, 12:03 PM
how to get maximum bandwidth/speed on a common or shared internet network?
we are four people and have a common internet connection. wire from main modem is connected to a switch and then is distributed to four PCs. i want that whenever we four are using internet or downloading some content i should be getting the maximum/whole speed of internet connection.
like while downloading from idm i get all the speed but browsing youtube and downloading via torrents doesnot give me full speed.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM

dont stream games/music and dont download more than one thing at a time no random posts on face book or other social media and it will be good

Ads

05-28-2014, 12:11 PM

what is this "FULL" speed your talking about?

Did you know you can only go as fast as your slowest connection?

If your downloading from a site your using their Upload speed.

So your "FULL" speed isn't a factor... its their "FULL" upload speed which you can't control.

And when downloading via torrents does not give me full speed... now your dealing with home users internet speed... Great if you get someone with Fiber Optics, but many times you getting a slow download is because they have a slow upload speed. Gets better when more people have the same file as uploading from multiple people... Download a popular torrent and watch how fast you get it.

And if you download from a good source... like Microsoft, Adobe... HP or DeLL etc... downloads are faster because they pay for a high upload speed
05-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Log into your router and look for something called QoS which stands for Quality of Service. Not all routers support this feature, but most do. QoS allows you to set priorities for certain applications and or devices so that one or more devices or applications don't use up all the available bandwidth. You can limit the application priority by using the port number and setting the maximum bandwidth for that application. Another way is to limit the bandwidth for a device. You can divide the bandwidth into four and set each computer it's divided maximum bandwidth. Most routers will allow you to set each physical port a priority to a computer.