This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BT Unlimited Infinity 2, customer experience?
05-29-2014, 07:45 PM
BT Unlimited Infinity 2, customer experience?
not really a technical question but a 'customer experience' question...

Recently i was persuaded by a BT sales person to upgrade to BT unlimited infinity 2, after it was installed i did a speed test on the BT site, and was not happy with the speed, i should be getting 'up to' 76mb download speed but was only getting 19.4mb (wireless) the package with BT i had before this was 16mb download and i was getting roughly this using the 'BT speed test'

Any way i decided to ring BT and ask about this, and they said they would change the channel on my hub (remotely) and for me to wait a week or so to see if i get any improvements, unfortunately i did not get any, so today i rang again and was told that the wireless signal would fluctuate and most likely i have interference with my signal and they could do nothing about this, i feel this is unacceptable that the advertising says 'up to' 76mb and i am only getting 19,4mb, i did ask the BT person 'so you know this for a fact that it is interference' and they said 'yes'...

I know if i hard wire my laptop to the BT hub i do get the full download speed promised but this is not convenient, i dont think it is acceptable to pay extra just for an extra 3mb download speed, so a asked BT could i 'down grade' to my previous 'broadband plan' and they gave me a number to ring to try to do this...

has anybody had the same experience, and/or tried to 'downgrade' with BT, i want to see if i have any problems ahead.....thank you

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 07:52 PM

If you get the full speed on an ethernet cable, then the problem is with your WiFi.

Does your laptop have 802.11n wifi? If it's only 11g, the speed will be very limited compared to what the BT hub is capable of.

Also, the 2.4GHz frequency range used for most WiFi is extremely congested and it's possible your speed is being limited by interference from other WiFi systems (or things like video senders) in the area.

Try downloading 'inssider' and have a look at the local wifi activity - you may be able to switch channels on the BT unit to get it in a clearer area.

BT are doing their bit if the speed is OK on ethernet. WiFi problems are not really their responsibility, as long as the BT hub is not faulty.

See the link below for inssider - version 3 is free, v4 is chargeable.
'inssider home' Version 3 is fine for general use.

http://www.metageek.net/support/metageek...-archives/

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply