This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I can't add a password for my WiFi?
05-30-2014, 02:01 AM
I can't add a password for my WiFi?
I've tried everything I can think of but still can't add one. It actually used to have a password on it, so I'm not sure why it doesn't now and why I can't add a new one. I have a MacBook (2009, OS 10.6.8), and I've tried going into network settings and adding a WEP password, then a WPA2 Personal password, etc. They say they've added, I save the settings, but then I click the AirPort icon and there's still no lock icon next to my network. I've tried to access my IP settings by typing it in as a URL in the address bar, but Google Chrome says it can't connect. Tried again in Safari, but the same thing happened. So how can I add a password? Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 02:11 AM

In my experience the only way to add a password to a wireless network is to go under the router settings via the IP address in the url. So first you type your ip address in your URL. You will then be prompted to enter a username and password to access your router settings. You can google the default password of your router, which is different for every brand. Typically it is something like username: admin password: password. Once in the network settings you can go to security and add a password.

Ads

05-30-2014, 02:15 AM

With my router, all you have to do is go to the default gateway, log in then you can change all of the settings there. It might not show a lock right away. The same thing happened to me. You may just need to reboot your computer or other device before it says that it's on a locked network. Sometimes, it will kick you out the first time and it will tell you to enter your new password. If this helps, I also use WEP2 security. Works very good and smooth for me.

Hope you get your network secured! Smile