This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
On the topic of the Titanic tragedy...?
05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
On the topic of the Titanic tragedy...?
Since we are discussing the sinking of the Titanic, I wanted to find out, how many of you would try to jump into the lifeboats ahead of everyone else (every one for themselves!) and how many would allow others to go first (i.e., children, or women and children, or elderly people, etc.)?

Do you think your spouse or significant other would jump on ahead of everyone else if you did?

My answer: I'd try to cram my daughter and my boyfriend onto one of the lifeboats before I worried about myself. But I know she wouldn't go without me, and I know he wouldn't, either. In fact, I fear he would shove US onto one and then step back and let himself die before he'd cut in front of anyone else. I hope I am NEVER in that situation because I know that's how he'd act. Sad

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 09:49 PM

I would let only my mum go ahead of me.

Then its everyone for themselves.

Ads

05-30-2014, 10:01 PM

I would not go without my husband. I would jump into the water, before shoving others out of my way. I will never be in the situation where i am in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, because I could never afford to take a cruise anyway. So I will never have to face my fear of drowning...

Add: btw, the "women and children" rule came about after some tragic boat-sinking, where most of the men survived, while few women and even fewer children lived. It was meant to counteract the tendency for certain men to go first.
05-30-2014, 10:13 PM

It is a social custom that women and children escape a hazard first, because in the case of children, they are the future. If we just save the old people in a village, the village would perish once they all died. Without women there are no children. Plus, we assume men are stronger and can save themselves better. Also, if only two men survive, they can create a whole new village with all the women, whereas if only two women survive and one hundred men, it would take forever to replenish the village. If you put your boyfriend on board a life boat before yourself, I'd have to say he's a pussy and the other people on the life boat would laugh at him and then throw him overboard. he should go last and be a man. I would go last. I'd rather die with my dignity than live without it. Plus, these days, with social media, there would be photos of me on that lifeboat with all the women and they'd post on my facebook what a douche I am
05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

I think everyone will say "I would save my loved ones first" but unless you are in a do or die moment then you will never know. I believe parents would sacrifice themselves for there children though.
05-30-2014, 10:36 PM

I rarely travel with family anyway so I am good to go. The only people I would probably feel for are maybe a close friend, kids and senior citizens. Adult Men and adult human females are not my problem.
05-30-2014, 10:45 PM

The Titanic casualty Figures, and what they mean

First of all, if you were a man, you were outta luck. The overall survival rate for men was 20%. For women, it was 74%, and for children, 52%. Yes, it was indeed "women and children first."

But what about class? Well, third class women were 41% more likely to survive than first class men. And third class men were twice as likely to survive as second class men.
05-30-2014, 10:52 PM

I would save as many children as possible.
05-30-2014, 11:01 PM

I would gladly give up my life for children only since they don't have a fighting chance to begin with. I don't believe in "women & children" first, children are the only ones that should be first. Women have a fighting chance and kids don't so I don't see why they are in the same category, I'd save only kids. Everyone else are capable of fending for themselves.
05-30-2014, 11:07 PM

Well, in earthquakes I automatically race for cover and if anyone is near me, I grab whoever it is and take the person with me. So.. if I were on the sinking Titanic and there were no rules, I&#x27;d race towards a lifeboat and just grab whoever I could grab a hold of and take them with me as I jump onto, or get into the boat.