This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet issues, please help me?
05-31-2014, 06:39 AM
Internet issues, please help me?
I have always had this problem... When the little "!" Icon appears on my internet symbol (bottom right of pc) I have to run the troubleshooter. It ALWAYS says "Resetting "Wi-Fi" adapter. I got a new computer recently, and it also says resetting "Wi-Fi" adapter. Is something wrong with the COMPUTER? It also says this- "The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken"

Please help me!

Other details: I just got a new modem that is top of the line.
I have a good router, but might it be broken?

Recently I ran the troubleshooter, and it said this:
"The default gateway is not available"
I TAKE IT BACK- It doesn't always say "resetting "Wi-Fi" adapter" it is saying other things, like the gateway (read above) and this:
"The DNS server is not responding"
I lose connections to my games every 5 minutes or so because of this!
Admin/Tech- IF YOU READ THIS! How do I do that? I am very new to Windows 8. I mean, I am a DAY into using it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Do you have cable internet? If you do then more than likely it is your ISP during certain times of day cannot send the signal to your house that is fast enough to keep your internet speed high enough to work, the way cable internet works is this:

The signal (Bandwidth) is sent down a Fiber Optic cable (Channel) from the central office, where it travels to your neighborhood, once it arrives at your neighborhood it goes through a special splitter which splits the signal between all the houses (Connections) that have cable internet in your area. Once it enters a box where the signal is routed into a house with active internet being used the signal is further split between all computers ((Nodes) in the house. Sometimes when the modem senses the bandwidth is low it loses the signal and needs to be restarted so it can recapture the signal (at this point it also resets your IP address).

What you should do when you see this condition is: Unplug the modem and allow it to sit for about a minute, then do the same with your router (in that order) let both sit powered off for about 1 minute. Plug in the Modem and allow it to power back on fully (at this point the central office automatically assigns it a new IP address), then plug in and allow the router to start back up (note that the router is assigned a IP address also, just as your computer is). this should solve the problem. Note however that you may have to do this every day depending on where you live and how many active computer users also use cable internet in your area.
You should also check your networking cables and if you use more than one computer or device on the network then make sure you have a wireless modem or wireless router on your network as wireless products have the ability to assign more than just one IP address to your devices. Every device on the network needs it's own unique IP address assigned to it or there are conflicts that tie up the network. Try hooking your computer up with a hardline Ethernet cable if you are just using Wifi and the problem might go away. Wifi is NOT good for allowing games to be played.

Ads

05-31-2014, 07:05 AM

EDITED :
REF: "The DNS server is not responding"

Go into the "Device manager and disable "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter"

Try that

It is very unlikely that the new computer is the problem.
And seeing that the router is new, I doubt that is the problem too.

It seems something or someone in the area is disrupting your wireless connection.
Have you connected the computer directly, with an Ethernet cable to see if you are still dropped.
I would do that first,

How about splitters? Each time a splitter is used it cuts the signal in half.
So you should have NO more than ONE splitter before the router input. Check all the cables & splitters.
----------------------------------------

If you stay connected with the Ethernet cable, then there are 3 possibility's.

#1.The wireless channel that the router is using, may also be used by a lot of other people/devices in the area so they are interfering with each other.
( for that you need to manually change the Chanel in the router )
TOOL:
( http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/ )
OR
#2. Some other device in the area , like a microwave and /or other things are causing you to be dropped with the interference.
( http://www.far-far-away.com/~yousif/arti...fi-sig.php )
OR
#3. Someone close-by has gained access to the router & may be connected to your router stealing your internet.
( just look in the "My Network" page of the routers settings.)

Have you set the router up with a good , secure WPA2 security key?
If not , and you are still relying on the routers WEP settings , then you are inviting intruders to steal your internet, so I would center as that being the culprit before blaming the new PC & router

With the Ethernet cable connected to the router & PC, Go into the router settings and under "My network" look for other computers that "may" be connected.