This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heart surgery safe ?
05-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Heart surgery safe ?
Ok so I'm. 17 I'm a male weight close to. 190lbs Im 5,9 5-10 i was staying the night my sisters house when I woke up out of a dead sleep my jaw was hurting/cramping my hands where hot and numb my chest had big time pressure so I've Ben at hospitable now for 2days and they say on of my heart blood vessel or artery or something ? I guess whatever it is it's being pinched off and making my heart work a lot harder to keep up I'm terrified of the surgery everyone's telling me with today technology I will be fine I'm just scared and need / want to no the odds of people that dies from open heart surgery please let me know you thoughts thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 07:53 AM

I know it sounds scary but you'll be fine. There will be well experienced doctors. Just keep your head up and stay strong. You'll be ok Smile

Ads

05-31-2014, 08:07 AM

What was found?
05-31-2014, 08:23 AM

At your age less than 1 percent die in/from surgery. If you were 80 years old it would be about 2.1 percent die from surgery. It is ok to be scared of the surgery. I was. I even had a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic at the start of surgery. I still came out with minimum problems.

Here is a pre-op checklist for open heart patients put together by patients a few years back. It applies to all people and open heart.
http://www.4hcm.org/forums/showthread.ph...-checklist

For after the surgery when you go home seriously consider renting a plush electric reclining chair to sleep in. It is far more comfortable initially after surgery and you won't need help getting out of it. A wedge pillow makes sleeping on the bed easier, try propping up your shoulders as well to get more comfortable. However you will need help getting out of bed for the first few weeks until your upper most stomach muscles heal. They are damaged when the rib cage is spread as well.
05-31-2014, 08:31 AM

anytime we have a surgery we tend to worry about the surgery and the things that surround this aray of things but dr do and yours to have experience with theses kinda things but they do know what their doing it will be fine they are tough they will help and do a great job
05-31-2014, 08:38 AM

SHawn,, Heart surgeries have come a LONG way, I'm 55 years old when I was born I had a Murmur due to a hole between chambers of the heart MY blood was basicly just squishing it around ( sorta like mouthwash.in your mouth) They shipped me To childrens hospital in Boston about 150 miles away at that time... i survived no operation and grew up and out of that by the time I was 13, I became a volunteer firefighter and eventually a career firefighter (22 years) in October 2009 I woke up In the hospital, and they didn't know what sorta of shape I might be in because I had the Most traumatic deadly thing happened when My aorta tore and Filled the Paracardium with blood Like a sandwich bag that protects the heart the more it filled the slower the heart beat.... Ultimately The guy who was in charge of my surgery team said I walked in age with an 8% chance of survival.... While its Not Typical for a Guy your age to have an issue like your having IT does happen... I even know of Guys close to your age having issues LIKE I had... Your situation doesnt sound "super serious" I want you to know That IT was easy for me because All I had to do was wake up... AT some point I am the one who called 9-1-1 But I have not recollection at all so I had it easy, while You "know" so you HAve a chance to get nerved up some... There are groups on Facebook about heart related surgery some for Open heart surgery are called "Zipper Clubs" from the scar we get from OHS... ofcourse these days some surgery is done arthoscopicly where they go into your leg and go inside the artery it depends on they type of surgery and where (hospital) without knowing exactly what is being planned what issue you have, I would say To try to relax as best you can, I know lots of people who have actually had 6 7 8 Open heart surgeries begining at birth and now at 17-25 years old still having #6 or 8 ... those are the people ya have to look up to.... Oh If its going to be open heart it usually takes 6-8 weeks to fully heal your chest you'll have more soreness then "Pain" although the fire couple days you'll prolly feel nuthin...lol if you need anything feel free to ask