This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet connection through a phone line.?
06-01-2014, 04:20 AM
Internet connection through a phone line.?
Thanks to all those who answered my above question. But my dilemma
has not been resolved yet. I have a brand new laptop Acer Aspire One
which has the capabilities to receive wireless signal because it's WiFi
Certified. The problem is there are too many interruptions when I am
wirelessly connected. I have a phone line there where I work, so how
can I get an Internet Connection through a phone line but without a
modem? I will appreciate everybody's feedback. Thanks again.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 04:32 AM

Unfortunately, that is not possible. You need a modem to connect using a phone line.

But I can suggest something else. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get Internet using 3G (or 4G, but it's rare) on your laptop using a small USB key that connects to the mobile phone network. You can ask the ISPs in your area. Also note that this always includes paying a monthly fee to the ISP, and might not be cheap.

Ads

06-01-2014, 04:43 AM

your laptop will have a modem inbuilt, so all you need is an Internet Service Provider. You ring them up and they will set your laptop up while you are on the phone. Forget about using dial up internet as it will not work with modern websites. There are to many side adds and it overwhelms the dial up. You will need to have an ADSL broadband account on the phone and will cost you money per month.

If you want to spend more money, you could buy a wireless router from the same ISP and plug into the phone line, then your laptop will hook to it wireless. Its best to buy the router from your ISP as they will set it up over the phone and you get 24/7 support.
06-01-2014, 04:57 AM

You cannot connect to the internet without a modem. You need some way to send the signal to the internet (or modulate or the 'mo' in modem) and decode (or demodulate or the 'dem' in modem) received signals. Any internet connection needs to be able to do this.