This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
do all major sites now have this side pop up with suggested articles?
06-01-2014, 04:14 PM
do all major sites now have this side pop up with suggested articles?
Every major site i go to seems to have this pop up scroll from the right side with a "suggested for you" and its always another article within their own site...? new trend or is my chrome browser compromised

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Eddie,

Did you opt in or opt out of targeted advertizing when you first started your Chrome Browser? If you did not opt out then Google and Chrome and everyone else is trying to figure out your buying habits, trying to figure out what you might want to buy next. So they put options in front of you and record your responses to build a profile of you and your habits, likes and dislikes.
The same holds true for news websites but with a twist. They get paid buy how many clicks they get. The more clicks, the more people are watching, the more they can charge for advertizing, and so on. So if you already clicked once and came to their site, they would love to get you to click again and again and they will do just about anything to get you to do that. Hence the pop-ups on the side bars and any other method they think they can get away with to keep the money coming in.
What you are experiencing is one of these two web business practices. It sounds like you are describing the second one, yes? The best you can do is turn off your pop-up blocker for that site I'm not sure how to do that on Chrome, or if you even can? You should be able to find the answer on the web easily enough with a Chrome-block pop-ups search. Good Luck my friend!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply