This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you deal with loss of interest?
06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
How do you deal with loss of interest?
I've simply lost interest in most things. I start a book but can't finish it. I play a video game and quickly become bored. My hobbies have become a chore, I struggle to get anything done. I can't write music, I can't draw, I can't make videos. I sit in my room and do next to nothing all day. I never feel like doing anything anymore and I hate that. I never feel happy. I feel anxious all the time. I go for long walks about everyday, and that helps, but the loss of interest and lack of motivation is debilitating. This is nothing new, it's been like this for a while now. I tried talking about it with my mom once but it didn't help, it made me feel worse because she blames herself. I'm also trying to get a job and a car and my drivers license. I'm sure some of you know the stresses of those sorts of things.

So I ask, do you know any good ways of dealing with loss of interest? I'll try anything. I just want to be able to enjoy the things I love again. Please be kind : )
I find Tetris to be a very good stress reliever for me. I know I said games bore me, but this is one exception. When I play Tetris my mind doesn't wander, I'm totally focused on the game. Sort of a thought suppressor; an escape from reality. I play for hours sometimes. I even have Tetris dreams at night. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years too.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 11:21 AM

This is called depression or is normally linked to this, the best thing to get your interests back have a jog or exercise as these are the best ways to get your sense of excitement back and are fun.

Ads

06-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Interest always depends on the total amount invested by me earlier. The place you have invested counts a lot. You should invest in a reliable Bank.

It may sometime be in the form of Good-will also. In any case, I deal with them firmly, effectively and efficiently. Why. Do you have any objections in it.
06-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Hey there Razzmatazz!
I think, being blunt.. You may have depression.
Those are definitely the signs of depression. Lack of interest in hobbies, people, places, things... in general... is very high up the list of symptoms relating to depression. You're making an attempt to help yourself which is great but clearly it isn't working very well. I suggest you go talk to your doctor, tell him or her that you think you might be depressed and they will evaluate you from there. If he/she agrees then you'll be prescribed antidepressants which come in different forms and doses. All are pills that you must swallow, just like the pill of life of which you must swallow too, ironic much?

The duration you're using them depends entirely on what the doctor suggests. Usually a good course lasts for anywhere between 4 months to maybe over a year, if not longer. After about 2-4 weeks you should feel the effects of them starting to get into your system. Usually they do tend to make you feel worse before better but that is a natural sign that they are releasing the necessary chemicals in your brain to make you feel happier. Serotonin to be exact. Serotonin helps to regulate your mood, communication skills, your appetite, your concentration, your ability to handle thought processes which include enjoying hobbies without feeling down or without loosing interest and it also helps to handle sleep too amongst other aspects of life. So yeah, having a good balance of the right chemicals up there behind that skull is vital to feeling happy inside and out.

You MUST help yourself. You MUST do whatever it takes, now you seem relatively in control of yourself, you sound like a very responsible person which is great! But depression and feeling low and anxious can catch up on anyone, even the strongest minded people. Hang out with friends and go out on weekends and have some fun, maybe get a little drunk every now and then, have a laugh and let it all out, rekindle friendships with old friends, make new friends online - I'm sure you are aware of social networking sites excluding Facebook, websites like MeetMe are great for getting to meet and make friends with new people. I always say this as a testimonial, I found my girlfriend on MeetMe and it started out as a friendship and now its blossomed into something special! It can happen! You dont have to look for love but it happens naturally - thats a good thing, right? Join forums and communities that you share interests in. Start new hobbies, take up boxing, martial arts, swimming, running, mountain biking, sailing, pottery classes, dancing classes, team sports that require you to work with others. Listen to new music, get a taste for different genres. Goto your local authorities website and look for places that offer group sessions like sports evenings and get together events for example. Earn a new qualification, get your old qualifications up to scratch maybe, learn a new language, visit new places you haven't been before and experience new challenges.

The list goes on. You need to get yourself out there. It's no good staying at home, that isn't going to make you feel better. Set yourself milestones for each month. Write them down in a nice spreadsheet on your computer or even write them by hand. Either one is a great way. And pin it to your bedroom wall. And stick to it. Wake up and say, this is what I'm going to do... A, B, C and D. And I wont stop until I've done them. Then you can relax knowing you've accomplished something. Challenge yourself. Take yourself out of your comfort zone. It's all too easy to get stuck in your comfort zone where you feel, well, comfortable obviously. But sometimes we need a push to get us thinking straight and going in the right direction.

You sound like you really have the potential to be a special person. Not just to yourself but to others, you just need to start your own journey to find that person within yourself and make yourself shine and others will see and want to know how you can be so happy and full of life. The key is to do whatever it takes to make yourself happy. If you're unhappy with your surroundings, change your surroundings, unhappy with friends, get new ones, unhappy with your job, find a way to enjoy it and save for something maybe like a car as you've already said, only YOU can change and I have every faith in you that you can and will!

Just take the plunge, talk your doctor. See what he says. Mention depression, hint you think you may have it and see what they say. And from then on, do what you need to do to be happy. Make it so your life depends on it and the change you make this day and the next is change that benefits from now into the future.

You can do it! And I used to love Tetris but that soundtrack used to get on my nerves on the Gameboy. Damn it sure did! My mother used to be obsessed with it more than me. Did you know it was actually a game that was developed by a USSR soviet union computer engineer in a private well funded soviet union research and development facility? Whilst the soviet union was effectively at war with with the USA? The developer didn't get royalties to his game until 1996, almost a whole decade after it was released. Just some facts for you Smile

Just have faith in yourself. Never give up. See what the medication can do for you, it took me the best part of a year to recover but I was also recovering from a lot of emotional trauma when my life took a turn for the worst so it might take even less time for you. It depends entirely on your situation and how well you try and better yourself. The medication can do 50%, you have to do the rest! And after a while they will just become a supplement for feeling happier and after that, you won't even need them perhaps for a long long time, even... forever maybe? Who knows. It lies with you now.

I hope I helped and good luck Smile