This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to connect secondary wireless router to main router?
06-04-2014, 01:01 AM
How to connect secondary wireless router to main router?
I need to connect my secondary TL-WR641G wireless router to my main router through a cable, so that the secondary router would give wireless internet connection for all my devices. Could you please help with detailed instructions? Thank you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 01:08 AM

I've never heard of anyone doing that, I think would cause interference.. It probably would be easier selling the two routers and buying a dual router. We bought one of those this passed November and it's awesome.

Ads

06-04-2014, 01:12 AM

There are 2 ways to do this. The first is simply to plug in the WAN side of the secondary router to one of the switch ports of the primary. This creates 2 networks, 2 fiewalls. If you aren't sharing things, this is fine.

The second way is to convert the secondary to an AP (access point) which is essentially a wireless/wired switch. In this case, you connect LAN to LAN and leave the WAN port empty. This is simpler, but only creates 1 network, 1 fiewall, 1 DHCP server, etc. Because there is only 1 network, shared devices will work fine.

Most times, one just googles the device + access point and you will get the instructions.
06-04-2014, 01:14 AM

BigE is spot on. Note that some routers do not have an explicit AP (Access Point) mode. If yours doesn't, then the equivalent option is to disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

I have a tip regarding BigE's first suggestion of plugging the secondary router's WAN port into one of the primary router's LAN ports. You can configure the primary router to put the secondary router into a DMZ. This will avoid double NAT-ing traffic between hosts sitting behind the secondary router and the Internet. I used to do this with an AT&T U-verse gateway and my own router. The Ethernet-connected TVs were hanging off the gateway while the rest of my computers were safely tucked behind my router.