This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can an employer tell me I can't talk to fired coworkers?
06-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Can an employer tell me I can't talk to fired coworkers?
Some of my coworkers were fired for stealing and the managers are telling us we're not allowed to talk to them and we're not supposed to talk amongst current employees about it either.

I could see not being allowed to talk to them pending investigation or something, but someone said they think they'll influence us or tell us how to steal? We were friends and some of these people were framed Sad

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 03:14 AM

Your employer does have an absolute right to tell you what to do and not do while you are on the job. I'm not sure if it is legal to tell you who you can and cannot talk to or what you can and cannot talk about when you are not working. All I can tell you is that if you do something your employer told you not to, you may get fired, and they may make up another excuse for the firing. So be careful.

Ads

06-04-2014, 03:26 AM

If they were "framed", then they can get an attorney to represent their case. Employer's don't fire for no reason at all. They usually have all the "facts" and "proof" before they take such action to avoid any potential lawsuits.

You should not discuss this amongst yourselves at work (with other co-workers) and watch what you say on your emails, twitter or facebook. Employer's watch for that.

If you want to talk to these fired employee's outside of work, they cannot stop you...but be very careful what you say....because you can be dragged into something by them as their witness in court. So, think about what you are doing.
06-04-2014, 03:35 AM

You can't talk to them on corporate property or at work by order of your employer who controls that site. If you want to talk to them on your own time when not on duty or not at work you can of course legally do so.
06-04-2014, 03:44 AM

chances are there is a pending trial or something. unless you hear the upper management say its because they think it will influence you to steal, its just hearsay.
06-04-2014, 03:48 AM

In most if not all states, unless you have a union or an employment contract you are an employee at will which means you can be fired at any time for any reason or no reason at all unless it is an illegal reason. There are laws which prevent employers from retaliating against employees who participate in another employee's discrimination case. So the answer is that you should not communicate with these former co workers on company time. Off company time if you are communicating with them as a potential witness in a protected legal action against the employer such as a discrimination or retaliation claim you are protected. If you are merely socializing with them outside of work and your employer learns of it your job may be in jeopardy unless there is a law in your state preventing an employer from firing you for legal conduct outside of work. There are not many states with such a law. If you use social media I would make sure you have your account set up so only friends can see your posts. If you want to be 100% sure of your rights contact a local employment attorney. This answer is not intended to be legal advice. Consult an attorney in your area for legal advice specific to your situation.
06-04-2014, 04:02 AM

An employer can tell you what to do at work. An employer has no right to tell you who you can communicate with in you private life.
If people have stolen from your company, that is not your problem. It is a problem between the employer and the ex employees.