This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Google Chrome better than Firefox?
06-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Is Google Chrome better than Firefox?
I have been using Firefox for quite some time. I heard about Google Chrome and have tried it before, but found out that is used WAY more memory than Firefox. I was wondering if Google Chrome is out of beta testing yet and I also want to know which one uses less memory and will not slow down my cpu. I also want to know which browser is safer.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 12:29 PM

It's definitely just as safe.... I like Chrome much more, I think it loads alot faster especially on startup.

Ads

06-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Google Chrome used to be not beta, but they put it back into "beta" status so they didn't have to maintain a latest release + stable release.

Google Chrome uses slightly more memory than firefox, but only because every tab is a new process. This means that there is some overhead with every new process, but you can't kill your entire web browser with 1 tab dying.

The javascript rendering engine in Chrome is much much faster than firefox, but firefox supports a ton of add-ons.

As far as safety go, they're about the same. Both are considerably safer than internet explorer.
06-04-2014, 12:45 PM

The answer is very hard to give, because each browser is different in its own way. Firefox can be customised, unlike Google chrome, it has a lot of addons now.
Speed is another thing. Google Chrome beats Firefox ping speed by a mere 4 ms. That is very small to notice in day to day browsing.
Have a look at this page:

http://lifehacker.com/5160709/browser-sp...-stacks-up

Hope it helps.
06-04-2014, 12:50 PM

I have used both browsers but stayed with FireFox.

Firefox has more add-ons I like and actually use.

But, more importantly, I did not like using Google as my web surfing browser. Google already is the world leader with it's search engine which knows enough about my SEARCH habits. I did not want to begin using a Google browser that would now know everything about my internet SURFING habits. I realize there are different modes in Chrome to hide your info, but it's not intuitive to keep on al the time.

My 2 cents...
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Google Chrome is no longer a beta, but you can download a new beta version if you want to. Google Chrome is faster than Firefox. Chrome is very basic, but with Chrome, you cannot download any toolbars or addons. Firefox has a lot of cool themes, addons and toolbars that you can download. If you just want a basic Internet browser with no special features, then Google Chrome is for you.
06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

no google chrome is kinda hard to use i like firefox cuz its fast and u can get add ons.
06-04-2014, 01:23 PM

i think it is as i have it on my laptop its much faster and reliable too firefox takes time as soon as you open google chrome it doesnt take any time at all i have both of these browsers they are both safe iv had them since i brought my laptop and its all good!
06-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Google Chrome is out of beta and the final version is way better. Google Chrome takes less time on startup and is faster than Firefox. However, features such as add-ons are not available for download, but how many of those do you use anyway? Also a Incognito mode is available on GC, which allows you to surf without the browser writing down your history or cookies, this feature FF3 does not have. I use GC over FF3 because of speed, it is much faster, but lack of add-ons might be the breaker for you.

FF3 is also slower than FF2, the new FF is bloated, it takes more memory than GC. GC is a stripped down browser. FF3 is also over-rated because of its popularity, there are many users who have never tried GC and say it is inferior to FF3.

For more info, read the GC Comic about its developement.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/