This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's your opinion of the FEMEN movement and it's 'unique' way of protesting?
06-05-2014, 04:09 AM
What's your opinion of the FEMEN movement and it's 'unique' way of protesting?
REF: https://twitter.com/FEMEN_Movement

It's a feminist group that protests by going topless and writing slogans on their chests such as: F*** You, Putin and No God in My Vagina.

I have to admit, I find them strangely fascinating.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 04:11 AM

that's a type of women
let them be what they want to be

Ads

06-05-2014, 04:19 AM

The protesters are salaried and have to audition by flashing their breasts. They're fake.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-symbols-fr...-produced/

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/femen-topl...inist-665/
06-05-2014, 04:22 AM

For some reason, I can't put my finger on it, I think they're obscuring their message.
06-05-2014, 04:34 AM

They're doing more harm than good.
06-05-2014, 04:36 AM

It's not remotely unique. Similar techniques have been used for years from groups like PETA, World Naked Bike Ride, the Top Free Movement, and many others. Famously (and probably apocryphally) Lady Godiva used the same technique to attract attention to a protest hundreds of years ago.

Historically, it attracts more attention TO the nudity, not to the cause because of the nudity. In other words, it isn't all that effective. That said, I have no problem with attractive women who want to parade around without clothes. If I also agree with them politically, all the better, even if their tactics aren't likely to be successful.
06-05-2014, 04:49 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong but as I recall most of those demonstrations are in Europe which means that their impact isn't near as great as if it were in the US. As such I suspect that by demonstrating topless they lose more than they gain. People just get annoyed with the racket. In Venice Beach, CA they have a topless protest at the end of every summer. In my opiniion the girls would be far further ahead if they all made an effort to go onto the beach itself every saturday for a couple of months and sunbathed topless like it was beach in Spain. Which is exactly what they're shooting for in the first place. Sooner or later the powers to be would simply accept it. That's largely the way it happened in France in the 60's, girls just started doing it, no protests, no confrontation with the police.
06-05-2014, 04:53 AM

I was going to say 'It's a bit in your face & aggressive' - but then I thought: "Well is it?' On reflection, no. Atheists get accused of 'aggression' for simply using forthright language. These womyn* may be forthright too but are they being genuinely 'aggressive' - not as far as I can see. Are breasts obscene? Not at all. I think they've found a really excellent way to get their message across with no aggression or violence BUT get noticed too. That is actually pretty smart in my opinion. If they protested with clothes ON would many people anywhere outside their country have heard of them? Probably not.