This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which can be better for domain name and/or url: hyphen (-), underscore(_), or plus sign(+) provided by seo con?
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Which can be better for domain name and/or url: hyphen (-), underscore(_), or plus sign(+) provided by seo con?
Which can be better for domain name and/or url: hyphen (-), underscore(_), or plus sign(+) provided by seo consultant ?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM

The best option is not to use any special character, but if you have to then use ‘-’ because Google bots read ‘-’ as ‘space’. If I say from SEO perspective, say the name you want to use is ‘granny’s apple pie’, so naturally people will search it as ‘granny’s apple pie’ and not ‘granny’s_apple_pie’ or ‘granny’s+apple+pie’. If you use ‘-’ for Google it will be closest to the key phrase ‘granny’s apple pie’.

Hope I was able to explain it clearly. If you need to know anything else please let me know.
http://www.sbr-technologies.com/

Ads

06-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Separate the cases:

A domain name is better without symbols. Better to keep the words connected.
If a specific domain you're interested in is not available than use (-). Its preferable by Google.

For a url (lets say a page within a domain), (-) and (_) are the same and regarded as spaces.
06-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Underscore is better and its something that increases the readability too.
Hal Smith
URLdreamer Consultant