This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1988 Fiero 4 Cylinder Clutch Diagnosis?
06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
1988 Fiero 4 Cylinder Clutch Diagnosis?
Ok, I explained this problem to a few guys on a fiero group on facebook, and they told me to replace the master and slave clutch cylinders. I have already purchased them but I'm waiting for this weekend to install them. Ok here's whats goin on.

I have to press the clutch a couple times before it'll shift. If i leave my clutch in at a stop when its in gear, it feels like the clutch is disengaging and the car will move or die. The engine runs fine in neutral or while driving. Also, I noticed the fluid in the master cylinder resivior was low (I just purchased it 2 weeks ago) so I added it. Today it was harder to shift tham usual so I checked the fluid level again and it was nearly empty. I topped it off again and took it for a little drive and checked it again, it hadn't lost much fluid. I also noticed the fluid is really dirty. I'm wondering is there is possibly a leak in the line...I checked both the master amd slave and didn't notice any fluids leaking from them. Suggestions?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Yes it's def a leak. One end or other of system. Look for fluid eg under car or on carpet near pedal box/ bulkhead.
Whichever end is leaking needs fixing. Very likely a seal failed and most common is at clutch end.
Nothing to do other than keep topping up until it's fixed. The pumping of pedal is due to air in system.

Ads

06-05-2014, 11:27 AM

That's why the last owner sold it. Little things were going wrong too often.
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM

You got the right answer.

When you press the clutch, it pressurizes the brake fluid in the clutch line. If it leaks past a seal in the master or slave (or there is a leak in the tubing but that is rare) the line slowly depressurizes and the clutch reengages.

Because of your other symptom (multiple presses needed) there is a good chance that it is in the master cylinder. If the pumping seal is not working well, it will not push as much fluid as expected.

You may also have an air bubble in the line that makes it worse.

1. Bleed the line. There are many sets of instructions out there to do that.

2. See what happens.
If the master cylinder is full of fluid and air appears, the leak is more likely in the slave cylinder. It can suck in air as you release the clutch.
If no air appears and the problem comes back (most likely it will), look at the master cylinder.

If the fluid level in the master cylinder is going down, look for evidence of fluid by the push rods for the cylinders. The carpet inside the car tends to hide leaking fluid from the master cylinder.

I am curious about the Facebook page you found. I am always interested in new sources of information.

The two major forums for Fieros (you can discuss issues much better in a forum setting) are the Yahoo Fiero Group (http://www.fiero.nl)
06-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Just put both parts on the car and have fun learning how to bleed the clutch! Don't pump the clutch pedal like you do bleeding brakes. use your hand to press the clutch pedal down and pulling up, It takes 2 people and when cracking the slave bleeder screw it has to be done quickly..not waiting for the end of the flow. A good 12 repetitions or more to get all the air out.