This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why does everything i think of happen right away?
11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Why does everything i think of happen right away?
Ok so this happens a lot. when i was with my girlfriend we were randomly thinking about babie names and we said a name...then laughed and turned the TV on and thats the first name we heard on the show.... Today i was on facebook and saw my friends profile and i havnt talked to her in like a month i click on it and i was like hmmm maybe i should text her.... then i got a text from her that very second! i dont get it.... and this one just happend like 10 minutes ago. i was on pandora listening to music...then i thought oh yea my brother told me to search a song and i wrote it on my notes....and then the song started playing on pandora when i never heard it in my life..... why does this happen? lol

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:30 AM

If you look up synchronicity on the web it could give you some ideas. There's a famous psychologist that talked about it. Carl Jung. I think that is interesting because it's kind of a neat concept. I don't understand it to well.

Ads

It is all pure chance, but the coincidences attrackt more attention. There must be many times that you think of a song and then some other song starts playing on the radio. You won't pay attention to that. But suppose I told you that your song and that on the radio had the same composer, then you would start attaching meaning/ causality.

You see, coincidences happen and we humans, who have evolved quite well by recognising causal patterns ( I throw stone, stone hit deer, deer dead, me eat) , are programmed to discover patterns and attach meaning to it, even if there is no causal connection whatsoever.

Dr Zorro has hit the nail on the head. I would just like to add my support to his logical argument. We are programmed to recognise patterns. It's that simple. Attaching cause and effect to our observations is a part of the development of our intelligence as a species. Although we are not the only animals to do so, we are certainly the best at it. Where do you think superstition comes from? If you play a game of football and win when you are wearing your favourite pair of undies, you may decide to wear them again next time, you know, just in case. After a few times of winning you find that you dare not take the chance of NOT wearing them, hence you have created your own causal relation between winning and you wearing those 'holy' underpants. Here is the clincher though; say you wear them and you didn't win. Well then you are unlikely to dismiss the whole idea, instead you decide that there must be some other factor involved. Should you wash them the day before or the day of the match? Maybe they need to be in your kit bag for a day before you play. The point is, we look for relationships of cause and effect and if we are rewarded with reinforcement of the suspected relationship it becomes difficult to relinquish it when presented with a contradiction. We, instead, try to introduce the contradiction as an exception. With your various coincidences it is most difficult to disprove, since, in order to do so, you would need to recollect times, for example, when you had thought of a song and then it doesn't come on the radio. Unlikely, don't you think? Seeing as it is an occurrence that is not at all noteworthy. Isn't it far more appealing to believe there to be SOME connection but with EXCEPTIONS. That's evolution for you.
I've had exactly the same kind of experiences as you, and of course, we can't really prove that there are NO real causal connections, but before becoming a fully fledged believer in your own psychic abilities you really ought to question whether there is a simpler, more mundane reason for the coincidence. Maybe your friend was thinking something similar to you when she texted you ("I haven't spoken to him for ages..." etc) Now if you were having this thought, say, at 3:00 am and she texted you, then there might be a better reason to suspect something, but even then there are numerous reasons why she might text 'at that particular time' entirely unrelated to your internal musings. The one thing I ask you take away from this is to 'be realistic' about these things. Knowing what you do about the real world, what, realistically, do you think are the reasons for these coincidences. Don't just grab the nearest answer simply because it requires very little thought or because you desire it to be true, really THINK: "what confluence of 'real' events could have caused this to happen?"