This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What can I do with my upgraded internet?
06-06-2014, 07:22 PM
What can I do with my upgraded internet?
I'm curious, Virgin Media have upgraded my internet speed to 156mb download and 12mb upload. I get a very stable connection, they're my favourite internet provider.

I'm pretty much the only person using the internet mainly for work, a couple of downloads and gaming. So I guess a lot of it is actually being wasted. Though I'm not complaining as I pay less than their cheapest broadband package so I'm definitely getting my monies worth.

So I wanted to know besides gaming and downloading is there anything else possible with these faster speeds?

If you can, provide some details as well in case I need to look into your suggestions.

Many thanks!! Smile
Edit: Well I'm pretty sure that's what I get Fred, If they gave me any less they know I'd be complaining none stop Smile it's there fastest broadband package. The upgrade wasn't meant to be until August this year but I guess they started early. Here's the Speedtest result:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3400519166

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2014, 07:34 PM

How about streaming HD video? I can't think of many other uses for high speed broadband except for gaming, downloading, streaming and having multiple users connected simultaneously

Ads

06-06-2014, 07:45 PM

You can help seed most of the torrents up there for us...:-)
06-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Speed is speed on the internet, everything will go quicker. Enjoy the ride.

But seriously, you can do more intensive stuff a LOT better now, if you want. But that is gaming and downloading (video/pictures especially). If you don't do more intensive things on the internet then you won't really notice the difference.
06-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Very interesting. I have never seen any virgin connection get more than bout 40 to 50 Mbps downstream despite all their promises. Mostly they only even offer 80 Mvps at best. In fact my 40 Mbps is seriously faster than most of their promised 80 Mbps promised lines to my customers. Actually isn't that their router wireless speed? totally wasted speed when the connection is less than 40 Mbps.