This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If two computers connect to the same domain name, do they share an internet connection and network?
06-07-2014, 12:35 AM
If two computers connect to the same domain name, do they share an internet connection and network?
Both my desktop and laptop have the same domain name, does this mean they are connected to the same internet connection? What about same network connection?
From what I can tell, the IP addresses are pretty different and their Subnet(or whatever it's called) Mask have a small difference. Only one # is changed on the Subnet but very few are simpilar on the IP addresses.
Similar, not Simpilar, sorry about that

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 12:49 AM

have to set that up

Ads

06-07-2014, 12:55 AM

Depends on your network setup. The domain name has very little to do with this; just because myself and my neighbors are on Comcast.net as a domain, we don't share the same internet connection. What determines if you're on the same network has more to do with the Subnet Mask and IP address range configuration of your DHCP server.

For example, if one computer was given the IP address 192.168.1.100 and another computer was given the IP address 192.168.1.101, and both were on Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 they would be able to easily talk to each other on the network without any routers. Both computers would also share the same internet connection.

On the other hand, if one computer had the IP address of 10.0.0.5 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.254, and another computer had the IP address of 10.0.1.6 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, you would need a router to allow those two computers to talk. Both computers would still share the same connection to the internet, however.

So the short answer is determine the Subnet Masks and IP address range of the two computers, and that will let you know if they are ready to talk to each other or not. If so, configure file sharing, printer sharing, and stuff like that, and have fun.
06-07-2014, 01:03 AM

Your question is worded sort of awkwardly. The answer could be yes or no, but probably yes.

What are you doing to see that they have the same domain name? If you're outside your network, and you're tracing back to your IP address, and you see something like DSL-10.10.10.45.subscribers.att.net as the domain name, then yes, they share an internet connection. On your average home internet connection, you get one IP, and one DNS name, and they are assigned to your DSL or cable modem, not your computers. Everything behind the modem appears to have the same DNS and IP to the outside world.

You also ask if they are on the same network connection as opposed to the same internet connection. This is not necessarily true. If I have two routers in my house, and they both connect to my cable modem, I could have computers connected to both routers using different private addressing, and they would still appear to have the DNS and IP of the modem to the outside world. However, how many homes have more than one router and network segment? Not too many.

Is this a home or business connection? Do you mean the subdomain as well as the second-level domain? Do they also share the same public IP address when viewed from the outside?

Added:
If they have very different public IP addresses, they are very likely on different internet circuits. An internet connection to a home or small business is usually assigned one IP or a small range of IPs, like 64.64.64.1-64.64.64.4. If the masks and IPs are not contiguous addresses, I would say they are on different internet connections. I would really need to see more to say why they share domain names. Again, I'm wondering if you're talking about:

pc1.myinternet.com
and
laptop1.myinternet.com

or, that a DNS lookup of both devices shows

computer.myinternet.com

One possible explanation is that it is internal, not external domain names in use in one or both cases.

However, they would not function properly on the same network segment if they had different IPs but were both called computer.myinternet.com. DNS would not resolve to an IP properly.

Hope that helps!