This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your thoughts on a parent who posts something like this?
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Your thoughts on a parent who posts something like this?
I've about had it with social media, but anyway yes I have a Facebook. I have a former college friend on there who unfortunately has a child with an illness that means lots of time in the hospital. It rubs me wrong though, to read post after post about "hate that (child's name) is sick, love that it has lead to us meeting so many great athletes and receiving some great stuff!" in reference to sports stars in our area visiting sick kids, and giving families free tickets to games, signed memorabilia, etc. Am I reading into this the wrong way? I just felt, ugh, after seeing that.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Oh yuck, that's definitely poor wording. I got rid of FB nearly a year ago and haven't looked back. Some people (not just talking about this person you know, but many people in general) get WAY too into the "look at me!' aspect of it.

Ads

06-08-2014, 12:06 PM

I knew someone like that. Diehard fan of a team, and used their sick kid as a pawn to get free stuff. I'm not kidding- she and her husband would go sit in the fancy private box seats of said game, while the poor kid was left at the hospital with nurses. Makes me sad for the kids.
06-08-2014, 12:21 PM

I really just don&#x27;t care what other people do. Unfriend them, block them or get off FB. That&#x27;s what I did.
06-08-2014, 12:37 PM

That's weird. You could just un-friend her though. I have Facebook only because I have friends and family abroad, but I don't friend people I don't like who live near me. My excuse: Facebook is only for the people I don't see often, which is 95% factual (I do have a select few local friends).
06-08-2014, 12:38 PM

That's one way of looking for a silver lining... I doubt that you are the only one that is getting turned off by the comment. If it bugs you, just unfriend her.

Are you reading it the "wrong way"? How well do you know her? I know a few people who are prone to making flip comments to make light of a bad situation. Also, there might be some people in her life who are jealous of the "special attention" and "free stuff" that she is getting and who are bad mouthing her. The comment might be a sarcastic come back...
06-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. Offer genuine support if you are able. The parent may be in denial about what's really happening, who knows?