This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lose Internet Connection every time my desktop goes into standby mode?
06-10-2014, 05:37 AM
Lose Internet Connection every time my desktop goes into standby mode?
hi, i just bought a new desktop and have a cable internet connection. however, every time i put the computer in standby mode and come back from it, my internet connection is lost and i am not able to reestablish it unless i reboot the computer. Is there a way to avoid this problem? I like putting it in standby mode because it is a pretty noisy computer and i am also under the impression that it is using a lot of power when not in standby.

i was wondering if there was a way to avoid this problem, or how much power/approximate cost per day a computer not in use or in standby requires?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 05:52 AM

The only thing I can say, is maybe you have a program
running in the background that is knocking you offline.

I was having a similar problem, till I found that it was
my spyware knocking me offline every time it did
a schedule scan.
So I just stopped those scans.

Ads

06-10-2014, 06:08 AM

when your computer goes into standby mode it transfers everythiong you were running to the hard drive and shuts everything down including the processor. so by definition you cant keep the internet connection on during standby mode because it shuts down all components. however the fact that it wont reestablish the connection after standby sounds like a component problem. if ur using a modem or ethernet card you should update ur drivers, that almost always helps.
06-10-2014, 06:23 AM

Basically, when you go into standby, the computer "remembers" everything that was going on when it went into standby. This includes the current configuration of your Internet connection.

However, the Internet connection only remains active if there is a constant signal that is updated. So that's why you lose the connection. Also, when it "wakes" up, your system is trying to validate against the previous configuration. That's why it seems like you have to restart to get connected again.

There is an easier way that does not involve rebooting. Just right-click on the network icon by the clock. It's the little picture of the computer. Once you right-click, select the Repair option and that will rest your connection without having to reboot.
06-10-2014, 06:32 AM

Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates and the latest BIOS for your system.

Check out this article which might help; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890042/en-us
06-10-2014, 06:44 AM

When the computer goes into stand by, it usually powers down most of the computer, using a little bit of power to remember where it is. There's also the 'hibernate', which is where the computer stores it all on the hard disk and switches off.

To be more specific, knowing how you connect to the internet is helpful. As the computer powers down, it cannot maintain the connection with internet, and most likely, the other side thinks the computer is off line, and closes the connection. Your computer, still maintains the information, so assumes the connection is still there.

Check for driver updates as well, to make sure it isn't an outdated driver causing the problem.

Another option would be to try 'hibernate', because it is a full switch off, so the powering back up is very different from a 'resume from stand by'. Hibernation does require disk space, a file the size of your computer's memory is written to disk.