This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want to start a band and I have so many questions?
06-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I want to start a band and I have so many questions?
First off, I'm only learning electric guitar and I'll be in high school next year. I can sing as well, I'm an alto. I've been thinking about this a lot lately since everyone always pressures you into thinking about what you're gonna do with your life and I feel as though being in a band is the one thing I dream and the only thing that would make me happy. For instance, I could never see myself doing any other career and being happy... It's gonna sound cliche, but I just want to do what I love and inspire others. Secondly, I have so many questions and concerns, most of which can't be answered. Should you start a band straight off from high school or from college? What things could help your band grow in popularity? What genre would appeal more to people in your opinion (Alternative, Punk, Rock, Pop Punk, I listen to all)? How hard is it really to get a record deal? Now I'm going on a limb just asking these questions because there's such a small chance of becoming a band and even getting signed to a record deal let alone becoming popular. Any help and extra details? Thanks in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM

First off, I think it's great that you want to be in a band and I think you should follow your dreams, no matter what they are or how big they are. But let me answer your questions: (EDIT: This answer's pretty long, sorry in advance. I tried to answer everything you asked..)

Start a band from high school or college? --It really depends on the situation. If, in high school, you meet like-minded people and want to start a band, then go ahead and do it. It would at least be a good starting experience. But high school bands rarely last, as many of the members may wish to go to college, and then the band breaks up. So I would try to start one, at least to get the experience. And then I'd go to college and study music so that you can be sure to meet truly dedicated people to make music with.

Things to help grow in popularity-- Well I mean this is kind of a vague question..I think just being very active on all the social media sites, like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, ALL of them. This will help you reach a wide range of people. Update your sites constantly, with new music and news as often as you can. Keep yourselves relevant. Gig as much as you can, and work on your stage presence. Nothing makes you more popular, at least locally, than being known for having amazing shows. And while your at it make some music videos. It will give a face to the music, so people really know who you are.

Genre--Honestly what genre you play is up to YOU and YOU alone. You should never play anything that you don't honestly like and are passionate about, or it won't be fun. Honestly, there's a market for all those genres. But whatever genre you choose, make sure you know what's NOW and what's NEXT for the genre. Become fluent in the current styles and sounds and make sure you know what people-and labels-are listening to right NOW, but also use this information to figure out what's NEXT. Record companies are constantly trying to find that "next big thing". If you have a sound that is not only relevant to the genre today, but will continue to be relevant for the next 10 years, then you are golden. I know this sounds like a lot to ask lol, but at least for future reference, that is what people are looking for.

Getting a record deal--It's hard. Plain and simple. Some bands spend YEARS unsigned, working day jobs and touring by the skin of their teeth just to afford it. Some bands may never get noticed, and then either manage some or even major popularity unsigned (i.e Macklemore), or they just break up. Not to mention that even when you do get signed, it's not like you get signed and then your the next Bon Jovi rockstar millionaire. That is not at all how it works. You get signed and then you make a record and tour. You are still performing to small crowds, still trying hard to for things like new gear and gas money and tour food and a whole bunch of other amenities that the label just doesn't cover. It's true that the bigger the label, the more money in your contract, but the label mainly helps with promotion, marketing, distribution, and setting up tours.

There's some bands that will not even make it past the first two years as a touring band, having to deal with broken equipment, an old van, and spending months or even years on end away from loved ones in order to play support for a band that's only getting about 250 people a night anyways, if that. It's surprising sometimes when you see a band who's being talked about as "new", and find out later they had been a band for like 5 years already lol. My point is it is very hard to be in a band, but if you have the strength, the determination, the will power, and the PASSION for this job, then I believe you can do it. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt. No case is typical lol, and I'm not exactly an "expert". This is just what I know and what I've observed. But I hope I helped and I'm sorry this was so long! I really like this topic as I want to work in music as well. Smile Anyways, good luck! I believe in you! Smile

Ads

06-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Follow your passion. Follow your dreams and build your destiny around it. Do all you can to train and major up in your instrumentals and singing. One of the best ways is to join a music group and get a coach. You will see how easy it is to fly.

One more thing....time..time...and time. give time to rehearsals every day. I mean not less than 2 hours every day.
06-12-2014, 11:11 AM

take a look here http://www.quitegreatmusicmarketinguk.co...gned-band/