This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my laptop?
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my laptop?
Pretty much, I went to take a sip of my Dr. Pepper and the bottom completely fell out of my cup all onto my laptop. It stayed on while I sopped up the Dr. Pepper but I quickly shut it off just in case. I did my best to clean what I could and then left it in a tub of rice for 24 hours. I tried it again today and it ended up turning on however when I got to the log in screen the keyboard was completely shot. It would type 2 of each letter after 1 tap, and the "q, w, e, r" keys would all turn caps lock on. I eventually just used the ease of access to turn on the On-Screen key board and was able to log in. It got to my desktop however when I clicked google chrome, my laptop shut off. The next time it made it to my log in, my keyboard as well as the touch pad would no longer work. I plugged in a usb mouse and was able to use the on screen keyboard to log in again, however when I clicked an icon again it shut off. Now it just sits there resetting itself over and over.

I'm pretty sure whatever is wrong with it, isn't worth the money to fix. I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows for sure just in case. As sad as it sounds, this laptop has been a big part of my life for the last 4 years and it sucks to see it go. So this is my last resort.

What is wrong and how much would it take to fix?

Thanks for all answers, really appreciate it!
Thanks Omz for answering!

Althought it's unfortunate that I was right, at least I got some sort of confirmation. R.I.P. old friend. lol

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Okay, the good news is the liquid hasn't done any damage to the hardware (wel done for putting it in the rice). The bad news is it sounds like the sugar in the Dr Pepper is causing the keys to stick. Obviously there's no way you can clean the keyboard, and if you were on a desktop I'd just say replace they keyboard, but on a laptop it's of course built in. I think you're right in assuming that it's not worth the money to try and get it fixed. I'd buy a new one. Sorry.
Hope this helped Smile

Ads

06-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Actually, you could quite possibly remove the keyboard and wash it in cold water, (rinse thoroughly if you need to use detergent, don't use detergent if you don't need to) leave it to dry thoroughly, clean anywhere else under the keyboard that has been affected, let everything dry thoroughly and then put it back together.

Electronics are surprisingly resilient to clean water treatment, as long as they have no power to them. My son accidentally got sea water in his watch when he was fairly young and we weren't far from home so we headed back promptly. I removed the back, took out the battery and flushed it under cold running water from the tap. I then rang a shop to see if there was anything else they suggested I do and he was horrified that I'd run the tap through it so thoroughly and predicted I'd ruined it. I hadn't. Left to dry for around a week on a warm window ledge, it ran perfectly when I put the battery back. I'd figured there was nothing to lose by flooding it with clean water because it had already been flooded with salt water and I knew salt water would corrode it.

I also had a mobile phone that took an unintentional dive into clean water while switched on. It was around two-three months before that was able to turn on again and work properly but it also recovered, despite having been switched on during it's dive. I think I probably managed to drag the battery out fast enough before the water reached anywhere it could create new and damaging electrical paths.