This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I share an Internet connection?
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
How do I share an Internet connection?
I currently have a laptop (with wireless capability) connected to the internet through your traditional broadband modem. Am I able to share this connection to other laptops wirelessly without buying a router etc? Im sure you must be able to connect 2 laptops wirelessly to share an internet connection without buying any hardware. Any Help?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2014, 05:55 PM

if you want to have a wireless connection you need a router, a router takes the internet signal and then converts this to a radio broadcast signal that a wireless adaptor then converts so that the internet is then available on the computer wirelessly

so basically you need a router and a computer that is wireless enabled or an adaptor

Ads

06-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Actually a laptop is not a good source for internet sharing because you will need two wireless cards or a LAN port and a wireless card. In order to setup internet sharing in your situation you need to connect your laptops physical network port (if it has one) with a cable to the modem. Then you would share the connection.

Please note that your laptop is not mobile anymore because of the physical LAN connection to your modem.

After that you would have to setup your wireless card to a setting called Ad Hoc if you hve that feature. This allows other wireless laptops to connect to your internet sharing laptop.

From there other wireless laptops and things can now connect to your laptops wireless adaptor and get on the net!

Other tweaks and settings are required as well, but Windows help section can assist you there!
06-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Yes you can share your internet connection. What you need to do is right click on the connection you'd like to share. Go to properties. Go to sharing tab and then click on the options. Since I'm not aware of your operating system. I can't pin-point you directly. Sorry.

The computer will prompt you with some messages. Carefully go through them and then follow the directions. You should do well.