This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to speed up internet on my tower pc, laptop is fine?
06-13-2014, 08:40 PM
How to speed up internet on my tower pc, laptop is fine?
I have a windows xp home edition it is taking over 5mins to change pages, i have cleaned & defraged but still the same, can anyone tell me how to speep it up please.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2014, 08:53 PM

One way is to go to a computer store (i dont know what type of computer stores they have in UK / Ireland) but any computer store should carry it. Then find a USB Internet / WIFI adapter. This plugs into your computer and increases the speed at which your computer can connect to the wifi you have at home. If you have a laptop one is already built into your computer but it might not be fast enough. If it takes 5 minutes to switch pages that isn't good.

Some of these can be quite pricy, but unless your transfering huge files to and fro' you dont need a very exspensive one. Just find one around 20-50 dollars (normal price for one of good quality) like:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Amped-Wireless...r/15907666

It is at walmart (dont know if you have those in the UK / Ireland sorry) but if you dont you can always ship it and walmart is a trusted seller.

Good Luck!

Ads

06-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Try to use "Speed Gear". just download it from CNET
06-13-2014, 09:18 PM

This depends on your towers spec's.

Tell us how the tower is connected to the internet, via an Ethernet cable or through a wireless device such as a dongle.

If you have a wireless device and it is as old as your tower you may find that buying a newer wireless device provides faster connectivity and will increase the speed. For example my old dongle only had a connection signal of 35%, while my new one has one of 95%.

If your tower is running xp it probably a fair age and the fact is that the internet is getting more resource heavy by the year, this means that older machines are getting slower on it. I find that internet adverts and tracking software slows down my internet more than anything else, so I suggest getting an ad blocker extension for your browser, which will not cost a thing.

Lastly if you have multiple phone sockets on the premises you might get faster speeds from your router by changing it to a different socket, the best one being the one closest to main telephone line coming into the premises.