This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shared wireless internet problems! Guy being unreasonable, need help.?
06-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Shared wireless internet problems! Guy being unreasonable, need help.?
Ok so i live in a shared house with shared internet. I use the internet a lot due to being injured and off work, and still going through rehab. There are only 2 people here that seriously use the internet for anything other than phone WiFi access. Myself and one other guy. There has been problems with super high ping for a few months and its really frustrating. After looking into it and speaking to the other guy he said he uses torrents to download things, through a proxy server also. Now i know torrents can totally hog the bandwidth, but he says he isn't always using it. So now i have no way of telling what he is doing that's killing my usage.

The internet download speed is around 7-8 Mb/s on a good day, average though around 6-7 Mb/s. Here are some numbers for it all;

A good example of my connection difficulties is this. A game i play online, normally has a ping of 35-50 for the European servers close to me. The guy has been away for a few weeks and throughout this whole time, despite the other house members being around, my ping never fluctuated from this average. Then the guy gets home, and the same old problems come back so i know its him for sure now.

When he is here, my ping on the same servers ranges from anywhere between 180-340. This is a huge increase. I don't expect to get free reign over the internet usage, but seriously? I expect it to be fair. Thats like 5-10 times more latency, and it shows through everything, not just the game, However this game ping enables me to quantify it better.

Its a good internet connection, only 2 of us really use it, and i'm definitely getting a raw deal here. I asked him about it now i am sure its his usage that is hogging it, and he was very unreasonable, offering no solution, explanation or comprimise. So what i am asking is:

Can anyone explain what is causing it? Am i being unfair and this is normal connection problem for only 2 people on an 8Mb/s connection speed? Any advice?

Thanks
He said he isn't always using the torrent, now whether that's true or not i don't know. However its nearly always the same whenever he is home. Any ideas what else he could be doing that would hog so much bandwidth?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2014, 05:55 AM

See if the router has a QOS (Quality of Service) setup page.

That allows certain types of internet traffic to be given a higher priority than others.

If you can increase the priority on the real-time stuff - gaming & web browsing - and lower it on other stuff, it should improve ping and general responsiveness without noticeably affecting anyone's overall throughput or speed.

Ads

06-14-2014, 06:01 AM

if its uk tell him to set his torrent client to unlimited download bandwidth midnight to 8am and to say 1Mb 8am to midnight

Torrents download FAR faster midnight to 8am than during the day
06-14-2014, 06:17 AM

When i suggest applying http://www.vpnpower.net to unblock web sites. I have been with them since four years.