This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My internet connection?
06-15-2014, 03:01 PM
My internet connection?
ill be blunt, i like to play on XBOX Live but to have fun and play i need a 4 bar connection like everyone else to be even and not die all the time (i play Call Of Duty). But my internet connection is extremely slow because my mom works at home and takes up a lot of the internet, along with that me and my sister also play World of Warcraft, and my little sister is always on facebook. So as you can imagine i have a poor internet connection. So i was wondering, if i were to buy a router and hook it up directly to my XBOX and my XBOX uses that router instead of the one everyone else is on, will it go faster? Also, do i only need to buy a router or would i need to buy other stuff to.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 03:08 PM

I am not an expert but as far as I know, your speed depends on your internet plan/ bandwidth given to you by your ISP.
Simply, changing your router won't affect your speed.

Consider this, if your ISP provides 1Mbps speed than the total speed of all the people using the connection at your place will be 1Mbps no matter how many routers you configure.

My suggestion play at night Wink

Ads

06-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Buying another router won't help. If you buy another router you will still connect it to the modem provided by your ISP and still you will be sharing the same internet access. The best thing to do is to upgrade your internet connection. Tell your provider what your applications are and they will give you the appropriate bandwidth that you need...goodluck....jexter@eastern.com.ph
06-15-2014, 03:22 PM

There should be multiple rj-45 jacks in the current wireless router you are using. Just run a cable directly to that. As long as it isn't over 1000 feet you should be find. As far as getting another router that won't help. Everyone is using the same service, think of it like water pressure, the more taps that are on the slower your stream will be. The only thing you can really do to speed it up is call up your ISP and ask them about getting faster service.

Also you might want to open your NAT settings apparently that helps. You should be able to find instructions for how to do that on Google pretty easily.
If it lets me post the link here it is....
http://www.xbox360forum.com/xbox-forum/t...-xbox-360.
06-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Nope, adding another router would just make your access slower since you'd have to go through that router and other people wouldn't.

WoW and Facebook should use insignificant amounts of bandwidth. Really only watching videos or downloading should significantly affect your gaming.
06-15-2014, 03:40 PM

I don't think that another router is going to help, i suggest going into your router's config page and changing the QoS (quality of service) settings so that the xbox traffic is a high priority. that will make all the data coming from the xbox more important then the rest (WoW, facebook, etc.). you should also enable port forwarding for the following ports tcp/udp 3074, 88, and 53. Or you could just enable uPnP which will do all of that for you, but port forwarding manually is much safer. To make all these settings easier and permanent you will first want to set up a static ip address for your xbox. also an ethernet cord is much better than wireless. That is pretty much all you can do from your side.

info on static ip (xbox):http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm
-after that you might have to set it up on the routers side using the xbox's mac address
info on QoS: http://lifehacker.com/326543/ensure-a-fa...ou-need-it
info on port forwarding (based on router): http://portforward.com/english/applicati...0index.htm

also, if your router isn't capable of these kind of configurations then you may want to consider upgrading its firmware to something like dd-wrt or tomato. that should give you all the flexibility you need and more. but be warned as this kind of modification is not that easy and if you do it wrong you could end up turning your router into a paper weight. but if you follow the instructions to a T you will be fine (be sure to read alot). also, not all routers are capable of third party firmware so check the database first to find out if it is, as well as to find which versions to use.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
then google "install dd-wrt on (router model here)" for the instructions

good luck