This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I find a newborn kitten?
06-15-2014, 03:21 PM
How do I find a newborn kitten?
I am a college student that gets to have a ESA (emotional support animal) starting either this Summer or next Fall semester. I plan on having this cat for as long as it lives (I have had three in the past with my family). The kitten will be living in a single dorm room with me but there is enough room and I have stuff for it to explore. This kitten will be loved so darn much.
Anyway, I want as young of a kitten as I can get. Obviously I don't want to take it away from it's mother too early but I don't want a cat that isn't little. Where can I 'order' a kitten? Is there somewhere that I can get my name on a list or something for a kitten?

Side note: Would it be okay to move around a teeny bit this summer? I won't have permanent housing until next Fall.
Thanks!
I have bipolar/depression/eating disorder, I have been certified by my doctor that I can have an ESA. My college recognizes this and has special housing options for students with ESA's. Actually many colleges have this but they have limited rooms so they do not broadcast it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Since you are not disabled you can't have a service dog and since you clearly have no mental issues you cna't have an ESA. You have to go to a psychiatrist and everything and since you haven't you can't have an ESA

And ESA are just pets. You can't have it on campus, can't haul it around in public and can't have it in pet free rentles

Ads

06-15-2014, 03:28 PM

If you want a kitten you could try finding a breeder, or a rescue.
06-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Adopt a kitten from your closest Animal Shelter! You might save a life Smile
06-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Well im not going to lecture you on having an ESA because I'm assuming that you already spoke to your doctor about it, and that the school is okay with you having it on campus. To assume you are a liar and a fake is rude, and your medical and emotional issues are not my business, or anyone elses.

To get a kitten, you could try going to your local animal shelter. They usually are FULL of young kittens who need homes. You could also try contacting a cat rescue. Either of the these places will be happy to help you find a kitten, and saving a life feels good, btw.

As for moving around with your kitten, you should talk to the shelter or rescue about that. Cats usually do okay moving, but it can be stressful, so you may need to check on getting some over the counter sedatives for the cat while you travel. It all depends on your particular cat.
06-15-2014, 03:51 PM

You can look at a shelter has been suggested but in your case I think you may be better off either getting a purebred kitten (if you can afford it) or an adult shelter cat. Shelter kittens are adorable, but if you need this cat to act as emotional support you probably as much unpredictability out of its personality as you can and with a purebred you can do more research into their normal tendencies. You should look into different breeds and try to find one with a personality that fits your needs. Try vetstreet, animal planet, CFA or TICA for some relatively reliable descriptions. With kittens, it's never going to be fool-proof, but if you meet the parents and they both have nice dispositions and if the breeder properly socializes them, you'll have a much higher likelihood of getting the personality you want. You can also try some online quizzes, such as the one on animal planet's website, to narrow the field, or ask your doctor what he recommends for your specific needs. Please note I am not advocating against rescue kitties, and normally I would advise you to find one through a shelter, but I think therapy animals are a special case and you need a special kind of cat: one that's less independent and calm enough to be okay in a dorm room.

Now on to your breeder, if that's what you decide to do. Make sure they're registered with and show through TICA or CFA and try to visit their cattery before picking up your kitten. You probably want to get on a waiting list about now if you want one at the beginning of the summer. While small kittens are cute, do not accept one that is too young. It needs to stay with its mother and littermates until it is at least 12 weeks old. If a breeder offers you one any younger, run. You could run into serious behavioral issues, particularly with bite inhibition and there are some lessons only another cat can teach. Look into any genetic issues your kitten may have and make sure the breeder has tested both parents. Also make sure the kittens have seen a vet, both to get age-appropriate shots and to get a basic health check. Explain to the breeder that this is a therapy animal, so you'd really appreciate if she can help you choose one with an appropriate personality (as far as she can tell at this age).

That said, I really would suggest you look into an adult although you seem pretty set against it. Kittens are cute, but kittenhood is also a lot of work and, even with a purebred, you have no guarantees of what it's going to be like as an adult. If you do want a kitten, you should get it over the summer. It will be young enough to adapt to your schedule and it will demand the most of your time in the first few months. If you decide to get an older cat, you're better off waiting until the fall so it only has one new place to adjust to. With an older cat, you should absolutely see about rescuing one, as their personalities are stable enough for you to judge whether or not they are suitable as ESAs. This is really your best bet for ensuring you get a suitable service animal, and will spare you the hassles of supervising a young kitten, but of course it's your decision and if you have the time and energy to raise a kitten right, go for it!

Sorry this is kind of rambling, but the number one thing to keep in mind is why you are getting this animal. You need it to do a job and help keep you sane. You don't need the cutest kitten in the litter, you need the one that can help you.

EDIT: I know it's not really what you're looking for, but I really do think you should consider a dog. There are some that are small enough to stay in the dorms and, if you can get back between classes to take it to the bathroom, a dog is probably a better candidate to serve as an ESA and, unlike a cat, with a trainer's help you could probably train one to help manage your eating disorder. I've had both cats and dogs and loved both, but most cats don't want to be around you all the time and do not learn new behaviors as easily as dogs. Once again, think of what you need, not what you want

Maci- Rescues are great but I doubt most will adopt to a college student. I've heard many are very hard to adopt from (why I've only used shelters and breeders myself) and I imagine your average rescue will take issue with one of their cats living in a dorm but I'm not that familiar with rescues and if you think one would adopt to her, that's probably her best option, as she'd be saving an animal but have more predictability than a shelter ktiten.
06-15-2014, 04:07 PM

The youngest a kitten SHOULD be taken away from it's mother is a MINIMUM of 10 weeks old... but as late as 12 weeks for placement.

Some say 8 weeks, but there are certain "feline social behaviors" that are learned during those 2 weeks between 8 and 10 weeks. And if the kitten MISSES them within the family setting, the kitten will have a higher chance of behavior problems. Trust me, I have see the difference between 8 and 10 week old kittens, and 10 week olds are much better adjusted.

As for "ordering" a kitten, a good option is to contact your local shelter/humane society. Most shelters these days have people who FOSTER baby kittens until they are old enough for adoption. You would have a good chance to give your name to them as a future "adopter" of one of the babies.

Another source would be VET offices. Many of the vet's clients have kittens that need homes. Last, but not least, is Facebook. There are many groups (local groups!) that are geared towards pet adoptions. Post an "ISO" posting that you are "In Search Of" a kitten to adopt when they are 10 weeks old.

As for moving, sure... go ahead. As long as the cat has things that will have it's odors on them, they will bring stability and comfort when in a new setting.

Me… kittyslave23… I know my place.