This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I put my life back together?
06-15-2014, 04:35 PM
How do I put my life back together?
I think I just broke up with my boyfriend of four years, he was everything in my life but he was emotionally abusive and controlling. I gave up all my friends for him, gave up my facebook, and pretty much devoted my entire life to him, so now that its all over, I just feel alone, lost, and depressed, and I dont know how to put my life back together again. My old friends and family don't feel the same because I haven't talked to them in years, and its so difficult for me to make new friends because I am just a shy, introverted person in general. I'm 19 and a freshman in college, and everyone says college is the greatest time of your life where you can make friends that last a lifetime and all these things.. but to be honest, I just feel so alone and lost. My classes aren't what I thought they would be, my relationship with my now ex-boyfriend was not what I had expected it to turn out to be, and my entire life just feels like its going by faster and faster, but I still cant figure out where it is going.

Sorry if this sounds depressing or anything.. I mean, to be honest I have a very good life, and I'm lucky to have all the opportunities I have. My parents are great and supportive of my education and my career, I'm going to one of the best colleges in the country... but something is still bringing me down, no matter how hard I try to be positive about everything.

But I mean.. will everything just heal in time? Or should I really be putting some sort of effort into repairing my life? Like therapy or something..

Anyways.. thank you so much for taking the time to read this, its very difficult for me to open up about my personal issues like this. I appreciate any help and advice.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 04:46 PM

I know this sounds cliche, but in 6 months you will look back on this post and laugh. Time really does heal all wounds. You will find your way and you will be ok.

In the mean time you can try doing a few things to help. 1. Try joining a club or group at school that has something you are interested in. You will meet new people - and it will give you a distraction from your ex. 2. Do one new thing per week - try a new food, go see a movie you wouldn't normally see, take a jog (in the day time) in the area around your campus. Anything just to break up your everyday routine. And 3. Volunteer somewhere - anywhere. Helping other people is a great way to get your mind off of your own problems.

Eventually you'll start to feel normal again, and you'll know new people and have a new hobby.

Good luck. And know, it will get better. You're only 19. You have the rest of your life ahead of you. You'll be fine!

Ads

06-15-2014, 04:54 PM

i think first of all, you do............nothing
absolutely nothing
eat ice cream in your pyjamas, have a duvet day
walk around where you live as if you were a tourist, have a coffee in a street cafe, go swimming
get a new hair style, or new clothes
chill out
do whatever you fancy

you are then presented with a great big blank canvas (mentally speaking)
college IS the best time, if you make the right choices, and you have just made THE best choice
friends etc will come in time now you are free to join in and do whatever takes your fancy
and everything else falls into place

time does help, its a cliche but it does
and as it passes you will build yourself a new and exciting life
we all go through this, and we come out the other end, stronger, and wiser
honestly!
good luck, and remember, its always darkest, just before dawn