This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is a "Socket Failure" error?
06-15-2014, 05:32 PM
What is a "Socket Failure" error?
Every once in awhile when I'm trying to read an article on Yahoo, the page fails to load and provides the following error:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL.

The following error was encountered:

Socket Failure

The system returned:

(98) Address already in use

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load. Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is yahoo-dev-null@yahoo-inc.com.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this error mean and why am I getting it?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Funny, this just started happening to me a few minutes ago. Tried to pull up a certain political article on yahoo that I commented on--now my comment is gone (it was there yesterday) and when I try to pull up the pertaining article I get the same "Socket Failure" nonsense as you.

Ads

06-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Has to do with yahoo gemini being released today. All of yahoo's services use port 91 to communicate but gemini isn't closing the one that its on and trying up network traffic.
06-15-2014, 05:56 PM

I'm having the same problem.

Unable access Yahoo finance at all.
06-15-2014, 06:05 PM

about 3:30 EST--- and though YMail still (intermittently) worked---almost all content on Yahoo addresses had servers that were unreachable or returned the above noted socket failures....only links off of Y-servers would work....system was useless....

not looking good for a new (unwanted from my side of the system) product....or for Yahoo in general...
06-15-2014, 06:18 PM

It means yahoo is updating servers
06-15-2014, 06:20 PM

I'm having the same problem. It's not your computer, it's a Yahoo problem. Yahoo's home page is all screwed up but what else is new. Yahoo needs to fire lots of people who are incompetent and can't keep their services working. I think it's time to change my homepage. I get frustrated all the time with problems.
06-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Ah so, this is caused by fixing things that ain't broke ... I bet! 🎭