This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think a ten year old (5th grade) should have an instagram?
06-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Do you think a ten year old (5th grade) should have an instagram?
I'm a 16 year old in high school and about 2 weeks ago I got an instagram.I was showing my little sister,who is ten and in 5th grade,the pictures I posted on it and she thought it was really cool.She has a smart phone and I told her that she shouldn't get an instagram because she is too young.

Yesterday I came home from being gone for the weekend and found out that she has had an instagram for about 2 weeks.On her instagram she has about 100 pictures.About half of them are of her.This angers me because she is 10 years old and is posting pictures of herself online.In one of the pictures of herself she zooms into her shirt that clearly shows what school she goes to.I told her it's not safe to do that,but she told me to mind my own business.Some other pictures she has are pictures that she shouldn't even have on there or see.They include a cartoon of a deer with an eye patch being shot in the head,an anime girl in revealing clothes,pictures that say to follow her,and some she doesn't even understand.I looked at the people she follows and most are people who have zero photos and she doesn't know them.One of the pages she follows is the movie Ted's page.The movie is R rated and she shouldn't even be looking at the stuff that gets posted on that page.

I've told my dad and asked him if he wanted to see the things my sister has been posting on instagram,but he told me to leave her alone.I told my sister to delete some of the inappropriate photos,but she didn't listen,so I started to leave comments on the photos telling her to delete them and warning her.She ended up crying to my dad and my dad threatened to take away my phone and told me to stay off instagram completely or he would delete it off my phone.On my instagram I have 10 photos and my profile is private.I went to my mom to try and talk to her about what my sister has been posting,but she yelled at me about how I shouldn't worry about my sister.Then she asked my sister for her phone and went on my sister's instagram.My mom ended up blocking me from my sister's page so I now I can't see her photos.

I feel that this is totally unsafe and that my parents aren't taking strong enough measures to keep my sister safe online.I want to show my sister an online safety video and so far I've found this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o8auwnJtqE

What should I do about keeping my sister safe and how can I get it through my parent's heads that my sister isn't being safe online?Also are there any other safety videos I can show my sister that are appropriate for a 5th grader?
@Cynical_Student I guess you didn't read the whole thing,I'm talking about my sister.I'm only 16.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Sure I had a Facebook when I was in the 5th grade

Ads

06-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Well here's my opinion . Legally .. You have to be 13 on most social networking sites . Some 10 year olds are mature enough to handle not being 13 and being on them, but some , like what your sister sounds like, are not . My sister is 10 and she has an Instagram. She posts some inappropriate pictures and I delete them or tell her to . I have her password. I think that if kids are going to have stuff like this and be inappropriate about it.. They should give their password to an adult or someone mature that will look at it and make sure everything is okay . I would take a picture of what she has on there and send it to your parents . Just what I would do . If she still doesn't cooperate, I don't know what to tell you . I would just see if she will make her account private or get people to report her so her account will be deleted .
06-16-2014, 09:38 PM

I have a instagram too!

I my one is private meaning that only the people that I want to see my pictures can see them, anyway there is noooo age limit for instagram, when you make a account they ask you for your age but they dont say if you are too youg or not.

If your sisters account isnt private than that could be a problem,talk to her camly and tell her how she can make her account private and tell her that if she doesnt than she could be in danger!!!!

I think if your parents can trust her with a smart phone than she is probably resspoinsable enough to have a instagram aslong as it is private!!
HOPE THIS HELPS
06-16-2014, 09:42 PM

Can I point out that you showed your daughter something, telling her how cool it was, and then expected her not to it because she was to young. if it's something she can't do - don't show it to her!
06-16-2014, 09:48 PM

It has nothing to do with you. Butt out. You are a child yourself and do not get to parent your sister.

Not that I believe a word of it.
06-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Ummm... this is very bad. First of all, your parents are doing the totally wrong thing. They should care more about what your sister posts.This just makes me sad. No, she should not have an Instagram at 10. To tell you the truth, i don't even think she should have an iPhone! I'm 14 and my parents still will not allow me to have an iPhone... But, it is your parents own decision. Here's what I have to say. Your parents are obviously on her side, so don't even bother showing her the videos. It will just make things worse, and you will probably get your phone taken away for doing that. So, I'd suggest just not worrying about it. I mean these things happen everyday, yes they are dangerous but it's up to your parents.
At least you are being a good sister and worrying about her. Sometimes parents just don't understand.
06-16-2014, 10:13 PM

Sure why not. My 11 year old sister has one but she's more mature than your sister so she takes precautions.