This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why does Ask.com come up when I open Google Chrome?
06-17-2014, 02:11 AM
Why does Ask.com come up when I open Google Chrome?
I just made my own administrator account on my gf's laptop a couple days ago and set Google.com as my homepage in Google Chrome.

After logging on last night, as soon as I clicked my shortcut for Google Chrome from my desktop, it opened Ask.com, specifically this page file:///C:/Users/Al/AppData/Local/VNT/newtab.html

This also happens when I open a new tab. I have to manually click the "Home" icon to go straight to my homepage, Google. Sometimes Google will be open, but on a second open tab, not the first one that comes up on screen.

I've even went through the chrome settings and set Google as my default search engine. It didn't change anything at all.

On a different note, my custom themes that I've downloaded from the Chrome store will not show up either. It's always the default white screen when I open Google.com. How do I get my theme to show?

Any help will be appreciated. I'm considering a factory reset Sad

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2014, 02:26 AM

The ask toolbar highjacked the browser probably as an add on from software that was installed.

Uninstall the toolbar and also remove it from your addons if its there then reset the home page.

That stupid toolbar always highjacks my moms comp and I have to go fix it for her.

Ads

06-17-2014, 02:39 AM

You or your girlfriend would of downloaded a file (Movie, games, music ect.) that would of downloaded Ask.com for you without you knowing.
You always have to read what your downloading. Just go into your options again and fidle around. Go to Control panel and uninstall Ask.com

Hopes this helped.
06-17-2014, 02:52 AM

Check the Chrome extensions menu (≡ , Tools, Extensions) for a New Tab Redirect utility and disable it.