This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
i have an lan wire internet connection that requires to sign in on their mother page....... and i want make my house a f
06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
i have an lan wire internet connection that requires to sign in on their mother page....... and i want make my house a f
hello,
i am using internet connection via lan wire that requires to sign in on their (company's i.e. providing the internet service) mother page. i want to make my house a full wi-fi zone... so what should i buy?? currently i have no modem...the wire is connected at the back of my CPU.

which would be best for me??
(Netgear DGN1000 Wireless-N 150 Router With Modem) "OR" (TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router)
the netgear product wireless router with modem and the other one which is TP-LINK is wireless router without modem.

I am really confused........what product should i buy??

**IMPORTANT** - is it possible to use the wi-fi even if my computer is switched off (just the device being switched on)??

i live in a place where constant voltage fluctuation is a problem so i want to use the internet on my smartphone even if the computer is switched off via wi-fi.

please help me.

thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM

From what I can gather from your question, what you need is a wireless router with an Ethernet WAN/Internet port. Unless you had an ISP connection that offers an ADSL service, then you do not want a router with an integrated modem.

The TP-Link router you have identified should be suitable. You will need to unplug the Ethernet cable from your computer and plug it into the WAN port on the router. You can use another Ethernet cable to connect the computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.

You will have to log in as you do at present, but this should be from any single device. After this, any other devices connected to your router either by Ethernet or WiFi should work without needing to be logged in themselves.

You will have to check the sub-net that your computer currently gets from the LAN cable, and if this is the same as the sub-net that the router offers, then you will need to log on to the router and change the sub-net it is using.

I hope this helps.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply