This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which book is best to learn Norwegian?
06-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Which book is best to learn Norwegian?
I have been looking for a good way to learn Norwegian, so far I have seen "Colloquial Norwegian" and "Teach yourself norwegian" by Margaretha Danbolt-Simons, if someone has used any of those books I would appreciate their input about them. Any other recommendation is welcome. By the way I don't like those free online pages because I don't like the way they work and lay things out. I would wait to see if Duolingo adds it but it doesn't look like it's going to be soon and I'm very eager to learn it.

PD: I have tried Pimsleur, I like it but it concentrates on speaking, not grammar. Not that I like grammar heavy books but I do like to know my way around a language.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2014, 07:27 PM

The Fault in Our Stars

Ads

06-17-2014, 07:34 PM

you really like grammar? Maybe I'd recommend "Norsk, Nordmenn og Norge" by Kathleen Stokker (U of Wisconsin Press). I wrote the workbook for it.

If you are really motivated, try "Sett i Gang" by Nancy Aarsvold and Kari Lie. But I'd say it would be hard without a teacher.

I learned with Einar Haugen's Spoken Norwegian, but the tapes are really hard to come by these days.

I like Hugo's Norwegian in XXX? months, but I don't know about any spoken parts.

Agree on "free" websites. You can perhaps pick up some words, and be amused, but hardly learn.

My website (below) gives some really easy (and not really that good) lessons, lots of suggestions for sources. If you like grammar, consider my Norwegian grammar: Norwegian Verbs and Essentials of Grammar.

Once you learn a bit, maybe join the Facebook group I administer, "Ja jeg snakker litt norsk" -- lots of discussions about Norwegian, maybe not enough in Norwegian.