This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get a record deal??
06-17-2014, 07:37 PM

I'm an 18 year old black rapper (male) and looking for to get a record deal. Rap and Hip-Hop is my passion. I grew up with it. I'm really good at what I do, the problem is, I don't have the money to buy the equipment or go to studio sessions, all I got is an ipad 3 and a pair of headphones, I write my own lyrics and record, sometimes I make my own beats

How can I get a label's attention?

Like MMG, YMCMB, roca fella, G.O.O.D Music, Def Jam, Atlantic and so on

If you're here just to hate or try to be funny, just GTFO
This is serious
And if you know any record label's phone number, email address, I'd really appreciate it if you included it in your answers
Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Hey man,

This is a really tough road mostly because there are so many others out there who feel the same. Now I'm sure you're great at your craft but there will always be many others who are much better than you, that's how you have to think about it if you really want to take it to the next level. I play in a band and i'm where you are. You definitely need to get on a part time job or else this will be impossible, trust me it helps. In terms of getting label attention, you have to get clear and good quality songs (again, a little money might be required here) and mostly just putting yourself out there. Upload your recordings to youtube, bandcamp, reverb nation, anything! Promote it on twitter, facebook, any form of social media. Play shows! this is where label A&R's pick up talent, so playing lots of gigs anywhere you can get them could significantly increase attention. As for the labels you mentioned, those are for the most part major labels. Usually a label will receive music from an artist and decide whether they are worth signing and working with. The one's you listed will not accept unsolicited demos from you, which basically means you have to know someone on the inside who will vouch for you and give your music to the executives. This will be a problem for you now because you probably don't know anyone on the inside of those labels. Start with local indie labels who can push your music to the bigger ones.

We all have passions but you gotta be prepared to work to make them what you want them to be. Start working somewhere for a little money then branch off from there. You're no good to yourself or anyone if you can't get off the ground with this.

Good luck, my best wishes to you and your future career.

Ads

06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Soundcloud.com
Youtube.com
Try to see if you got some friends that know someone or your friends to help you have a little show at the Mall and earn some cash and get some microphone and studio things.
06-17-2014, 08:07 PM

It's all about networking. Take your music with you everywhere, show it to friends and people you meet, ask for advice from people who know their hip-hop. It's a grind but you have to stay with it.
06-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Hey

I'm a rapper and I sing too and there's two ways you could get signed, The 1st is by having the record labels come to you by already having a big fan base (Over 100,000 People), Having Great music in the streets , and really by having a big buzz in your city and being famous locally and in other cities before your even signed, If you can do that the record labels will come to you that's what chief keef did and he got signed a 6 Million dollar deal but since you don't have much equipment and stuff I would suggest you go with the 2nd way and that's by making a mixtape with really good songs and they don't need to be good quality they just have to sound good then go to new york and give it to record labels instead of them coming to you and if your good like you said one of them will sign you but the thing about that is since you don't have a fan base your not gonna get a big deal you might get $50,000 for studio fees and music videos but your not gonna get famous right away it will take a few years like look at J Cole all he did was give his tape to Jay Z when he was coming out of the studio and he got signed 2 weeks later but he didn't really blow up until after 2 or 3 year.. its really depends on how big you wanna be..