This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Was I being unreasonable with my BF with this Facebook password situation?
06-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Was I being unreasonable with my BF with this Facebook password situation?
I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months, and we get along great and are both in our mid 20s. About two months ago he told me I had the right (and privilege as his girlfriend) to ask for his Facebook password, or go through his phone if I ever felt the need to do so. I felt it was enough for him to tell me that, and I did indeed feel special, but felt no desire to really go through his phone or Facebook. Shortly thereafter, a mutual friend of ours (She knew him before I knew him) told me how he also used to share his password with her - and they were merely friends (not a couple). After knowing he also shared passwords with her who was just a close friend, I didn't exactly feel "special" anymore, to me it seemed like Facebook privacy wasn't a big deal for him. I, on the other hand, take my privacy very seriously and wouldn't give anyone but my significant other access to that information. However, I forgot about the whole situation and didn't think of it as much.

Yesterday, my boyfriend offered his Facebook password randomly, without me asking because he wanted to make me feel special. Though, I acknowledged it was a nice gesture, I just asked him if he still shared his passwords with other close friends as well - and if that was the case, I didn't see this action of his as a "girlfriend privilege." He's been angry and upset since, and is disappointed that he just wanted to make me feel special, and I didn't feel special as a result of knowing what I know.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Yes

Ads

06-18-2014, 08:19 PM

i would tell him you dont want his password
06-18-2014, 08:29 PM

It's just a password........so what if he shared it w/ other ppl, a profile account wouldn't make me feel special. Being in a relationship w/ them would. And if it were me I would troll him. I wouldn't ever give my passwords to anybody not even my bf. probably my husband if he wanted to do that, which I hope he won't b/c it would be lame if that was his main desire in our relationship. But yes that was unreasonable
06-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Come on, why making such a tremendous upheaval for something so small. It's a storm in a glass of water!
You shouldn't be that sensitive, there are many more serious occasions which will arise during the next month, that jealousy you have, won't be able to be contained and you'll go to a separation with your bf, because he won't stand it any longer........ be patient .....as you were unreasonable. (sorry!)
06-18-2014, 08:59 PM

First things first- I would NEVER share my passwords for anything with anyone- that includes girlfriends. It isn't because I am trying to hide something (I don't use Facebook, and don't have an account), nor am I trying to be sneaky. Such things are private info and should never be shared with anyone. Also, if that's the only you can feel you trust a guy you either have trust issues, or the guy does things that you find suspicious- or a mixture of the two issues. Going through his Facebook and/or his phone will never fix those issues. I have never had a girlfriend make such a demand, and I would not stay in a relationship that had that stipulation as part of it. Please don't take the above statement as an attack on you, as my thought is that you have probably ran into someone who has hurt you, and I think everyone has been through that- and it hurts.

I wouldn't see having access to his facebook as something that should make you feel special. Obviously, if he gives his password to others, in his eyes having the password to Facebook is no big deal. It may be to you, but not to him. If I were you, I would have a list of other things to decide that. Does he do special things for you? Does he take you out on a regular basis? Does he introduce you to friends? How does he treat you in front of other people? You don't have to use my list- come up with your own. There are other indications to gauge his feelings for you- and they are far more important than a password. I'd go with those instead, and let him keep his phone and passwords.