This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In Chrome I Can't Change My Default Search Engine?
06-20-2014, 04:33 AM
In Chrome I Can't Change My Default Search Engine?
Okay I am having a bit of a problem here. My default search engine won't stop changing! It went from Google, to Yahoo, to Bing, to Search Dial, and every time I go to change it back to Google in the settings on Chrome it won't work. I go and set it as my default search engine, and open a new screen to see if it worked, but it is back to search dial. Then I check and see if it switched again and it says that it didn't. Google is still the default! I tried restoring the settings on my Chrome to their original settings but that didn't work either!

Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I am missing something. I just want it to open back up to the Chrome New Tab page like it did when I first got Chrome because I had a theme set and all of my apps were there, but now I can't get back to it. It's really irritating!

Thanks if you answer! Big Grin
MikaSch I understand that Chrome is a Google operating system. And the only way I can get to Google is if I type in google.com and go directly to it. Otherwise it is Search Dial searching for me. I am wanting to get rid of search dial and only have Google do my searching for me. And I have done exactly what that link tells me to but it doesn't work. Search Dial still pops up when I search for things. Thanks for answering though! :3

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2014, 04:41 AM

You are not doing anything wrong, you are just thinking wrong.
Do you know to who Chrome belongs to ? Say the full name quickly and you will understand that Chrome is a Google Operating System.

That being said logically why would Google allow you to use another search engine on their proprietary Operating system. You may be able to use any search engine but the default will always come back to Google. Remember all the big noise and all that was created when some "great people" wanted to uninstall Internet Explorer, for good, from Microsoft Windows ? Well, even till today one cannot completely uninstall IE from Microsoft Windows.

If you are seeing 'Search Dial' all the time then you probably have a browser extension installed. The second link tells you how to remove it.

Ads

06-20-2014, 04:47 AM

On Google Chrome, how to remove search pest
First go to start, control panel, Programs and features
and see if's there, If it is remove it. Then try this.
Note: First click on the 3 little bars, top right side.
click tools
click extensions
If it's listed in your extensions, click on the trash can,and delete it.

Next step
1. Click on the wrench, or 3 little bars icon (upper right corner). Choose Settings.
2. At On start up: Open a specific page or set of pages.
3. Click Set pages. if your home page is not there. Type it in.
4. Next under Search in the same window, click on Manage search engines. Find The search pest and delete it. (Bing or what ever)
(Note) If the X don't show, then it's probably because it's selected as the default search engine. Hover over Google and click default to Make Google your default search engine.
then you can delete all the others. There are also other pest, and you can rid them the same way.