This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
COLLEGE STUDENTS: What are five things you wish someone told you about college before your first day?
06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
COLLEGE STUDENTS: What are five things you wish someone told you about college before your first day?
I am going to college in a few months, so what are a few things you didn't know about college until you got there that you wish you knew beforehand? Just any general tips about ANYTHING regarding the college life. Thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Student loans are going to kill you when you get out. (it is common to have payment of over $500 a month)

GET HELP- don't wait until your grades drop to go to the tutoring center. Even with an A or B in the class, getting extra help is a good idea- also study with other students from the classes

TIme management and organization: can get you through college
Actually write out lists. What needs to get done each week and each day-even plan in time with your friends and to do laundry
to adjust -get a routine down as soon as you can.

Exercise- yes you are walking everywhere. But get in exercise each week. put it into your routine. Many college student gain weight-have you heard of the freshman 15? And regular exercise helps with the stress of college.

You will get sick- bring every over the counter medication you can think of.

Watch your new found freedom. I have seen many student who were did great in HS crash and burn with too much drinking and partying.

you do not need to be BFF with your room mate. Communication and compromise is the key. Get things hashed out the first week- food trash out everyday, no over night guests etc

Read your class syllabus for each class. keep it safe.

make sure you know each teacher's procedures for missing a class.

Do not assume, don't go by what "someone told me" Get facts direct. I heard there was no class today because of the snow...
Someone said the test date was moved... I thought I could park there...

Ads

06-20-2014, 12:33 PM

It's a LOT more than 5 things....

1. If you're going to work, make sure you make time for studying and homework.

2. Try to organize your time wisely. If you have time in between classes, use that to do homework or study (and eat!).

3. Try to balance fun with school.

4. If you need help with anything, ask ASAP. All professors have office hours/appointments and email that they give their students for that very reason.

5. If you feel like you can't handle the work, drop the class ASAP. No point in prolonging it and failing.

6. Join activities and go to school events. That's a way to have fun, meet new people and spend time with friends.

7. Start saving for student loans. They give you 6 months from the time you graduate to start repaying, but if you don't have anything saved up or a god job, then it's much more difficult to pay back.

8. When you make your schedule, it's better to take two or three classes per day than all five or six on 2 or 3 days. That way, you'll have more time to get your homework done, eat and study. I made that mistake my first semester, so I was in classes from 8 am to 5 pm MWF. After that I made sure I had at least 2 classes Monday-Thursday or Monday-Friday.

9. Whether you commute or dorm, try to get your stuff ready the night before. The last thing you want to do is stroll into class a few minutes late. Most professors don't care, but some professors lock the door and give you an absent instead. (I've had a few professors who've done that).

10. If you get a paper assignment, get it done as soon as possible. If it's easy, then it shouldn't be a problem. You don't want to wait until the night before and find that you'll be up all night (especially if the due date falls on a day you have an exam).

11. If you're dorming, don't drive across campus to your classes. Those are spots that the commuters want and need. You're going to spend more time looking for a parking spot than it does to walk from the dorms to your class.

12. Check your school email daily. If you need to, have it forwarded to your regular email so you can remember to check it. If you use a smart phone and use the email on their, check it periodically throughout the day. Professors use email as a way to communicate with their students, and if they can, they'll let the students know of any changes for the day.

13. Check the school's website or social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram). A lot of times, they'll use social media, in addition to the website for any news or events. A lot of schools use them for changes in schedules due to inclement weather. My alma mater just recently used social media to let all the students and faculty (and visitors) know that the library was closed for the day.

14. Make a list of anything and everything: Whether it's school assignments, scheduling, shopping, etc.

15. Eat when you can! If you have to, bring a snack and soda/water with you to class. A lot of professors don't mind you eating or drinking, as long as you clean up after yourself. I remember getting water and a coffee before classes (and sometimes run into a professor at the coffee cart or cafeteria/deli).

16. Don't assume that all professors won't know your name. I've taken classes where the professor didn't know anyone's name and some that made a point to know each and every one of their students.

17. Get a phone number/email/FB from some of your classmates. That way, if you missed something, you can ask what happened in class.

18. Your class is not the only class your professor has. Some professors teach 3-5 classes, and it may only be at that one campus. I had a few professors that taught at 2 or 3 different schools. Their time is just as precious as yours.

19. Some professors don't care if you sleep/text in class. They know that students have lives outside of class (some being parents or caretakers or have full time jobs). Just try not be too distracting (or distracted). Others will actually take your phone or kick you out of class. A lot of teachers will tell them their policy on phone usage in class.

20. Some professors really do care about your education and make a point of telling you and helping you. Take advantage of that. Just realize that they'll know when you're slacking too. Some professors can care less and if you don't do the work, then they have no problem failing you.