This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If my internet plan is for 8 Mbps...... Then what downloading and uploading speed do i get?
06-22-2014, 01:06 AM
If my internet plan is for 8 Mbps...... Then what downloading and uploading speed do i get?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2014, 01:15 AM

I have 1 mbps and I got about 120kbps downloading speed so I think it would be around 960kbps

Ads

06-22-2014, 01:22 AM

downloading speed is calculated by multiplying 8 with ur broadband speed
06-22-2014, 01:31 AM

Is that dial up?
You can go to one of those internet speed test sites and check to see what you are getting for upload and download speeds.
I've got Verizon Fios which gives me 50 Mbps, but then that's a fiber-optic connection. So I really can't compare it.
06-22-2014, 01:34 AM

8 Mbit = 1 MByte / sec. Usually you will get closer to max speed downloading than when uploading.
06-22-2014, 01:48 AM

8000/8 = 1000KB
06-22-2014, 02:04 AM

Your internet plan is measured in Megabits/second whereas your actual download and upload speed is done in Megabytes or Kilobytes per second. 1megabit is equal to 0.125 megabytes making your 8Megabits equal to 1Megabyte in speed. Keep in mind that is a Maximum speed and most service provider don't guarantee it they just say "up to xMbps". Granted it should still be pretty close to it.

Concerning your upload speed that can be different from your download depending on your plan. For instance my internet gives 50Mbps download but only 2Mbps upload. Generally this isn't an issue since even for gaming you don't need much upload. You'll usually only notice it if you're uploading large files to websites or ftp servers. Just check with your ISP (internet service provider) to find out what your upload rate is supposed to be.

For a quick conversion of Megabits to Megabytes just type in the boxes at the top of the page I've included in my sources.